Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing Kayaks

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Default Fishing Kayaks

Does anybody fish out of a kayak? I'm looking to purchase a fishing kayak so I can fish/trek some of the small rivers, bayous, and creeks around my area. Just wondering if anybody has a kayak, and if so, what kind do y'all have.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default RE: Fishing Kayaks

So...uh....no kayakers, huh?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:16 PM

I use my parents kayak occasionally to fish but I don't know the brand. Make sure you buy a wider kayak for better balance is the only advice I've got.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Buy a kayak MADE for fishing. I have one that is not made for fishing, and equipment storage can be a problem. It's also a tad narrow to be shifting my weight around, or while casting. Other than that, it's a great way to get into areas that bigger boats ignore.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

My wife and I have 2 Dagger lake kayaks with rudders. I occasionally use mine to fish out of but they aren't exactly stable. If you want one for fishing I would get one that is short and wide like a pond kayak. I have seen some strap on stabilizers advertised similar to the native things they have on the Hawaiian multi person canoes. I take mine out in the roughest weather and love to surf with it on the large Lake Champlain waves. I usually wipe out so it is mandatory to wear a good life vest and know how to right the kayak and pump it out. Lots of fun but nothing I would fish out of.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a predator k-111 (?) that is strictly a fishing kayak and is quite stable in the water when setting up on a fish. Its not tippsy in the water at all and is equipt with a rod holder and rubber gommented paddle. I really like it as I can throw it in the back of the truck and it came with a hand held trailer that I can pull in some remote areas.

Bobby
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I just bought two Old Town Rush kayaks. My son and I will be fishing out of them but can tell you what it will be like. I will repost after we at least go out the first time to paddle and what I think I could do out of them. I believe the fish will fear me.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen some fishing out of them before, but as CI said, most use them for enjoyment. For what you are asking I like using a double end canoe..