Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Power Pro Observation

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Power Pro Observation

I now have all my rods tied with the Palomar knot ..thanks to the advice MTHands gave me yesterday about the "Big loop."

However , when I started out yesterday I still had one spinning rod that was an improved clinch.It was on my rooster tail rod..I had got stuck in some hydrilla.I reeled in a big clump of hydrilla and shook my rod tip off hard to get rid of the green weeds..Guess what? the Rooster Tail broke off and that it is!!!![:@] ...NEVER AGAIN !!! It will be Palomar..

I retied...with the MTHands big loop.Check this out Later on that day I got stuck on a log. I pulled and pulled and could not break my 20 pound Power Pro. I mean I was literaaly standing straight up over the log..using my 270 pound body and she would not break...I had to reach down with my dikes and cut that line..WOW !! Power Pro is awesome ...when tieing the Palomar knot..
By the way...my best yesterday was 4.12 pounds. This place is not a good place so this is an ok bass here. I caught 4 on shiners and 5 on Rooster Tail

c7

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Power Pro Observation

back in my days of braided lines ( i used spiderwire and gorilla braid) I absolutely had to use a palomar knot any other not just wont hold with braided lines.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey man glad too hear the "big loop" helped, i know i tied on a spook once and made me a huge loop to get around that thing[&:], spennierbaits were always fun also[:@]
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I really appreciate that wise word brother..I also like little things to remember my friends by..I named that the MTloop..My sons know it by that name now..On every retie today I used it..I found a lure today and tied it on..It looks very nice and i caught fishi in it..It's a pretty blue Shad Rap..the smaller version..Really pretty lure. Blue adn clear actually.

I'm not joking, I couldn't break the line..I was standing up ..and i reeled my rod tip straight down..I was using a spinning reel and you can get those drags only so tight..I grabbed the line with my fist when it started slipping...THAT Palomar knot would not break PERIOD. I had to cut it with dikes..Power Pro is some good stuff man. and this is the 20 pound test...6 pound diameter.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

THat is how it is supposed to be chuck you shouldnt break it without a fray in the line. I have seen 100 lb powerpro anchor a 28 ft boat on a ledge grouper fishing man its tough and i just cant beat it.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM

As a kid I always used the polamar knot, when my fingers got a little more cordinated I switched to the cinch that grandpa showed me. Why? well, cause it's what grandpa used. I always made very large loops because, like I've already mentioned, my fine motor skills and patience weren't fully developed. (Yes, for me, as a child, tying a cinch knot required patience...kinda funny thinking back on it now.)

I'll try switching back if I ever get a chance to fish...say, I've got tomorrow morning off, I think that's what I'll do. Then I have to get to a bachelor's party at noon...this is my kind of bachelor's party: Grill out, swimming in a "pool" pond with a zipline and shooting clays. Who needs all that other stuff?[8D]
Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good Soilarch...at 53 my eyes are going a little..I usedto bring reading glasses to tie the Improved Clinch knot..With the Polomar ,you don't need glasses and it is actually faster...It's just hard getting out of a rut..After losing a few hawgs this year...I will NEVER go back to the clinch knot..not even for panfish.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM

Watch pulling like you did on that log. I got snagged on a tree once
and lets just say it didn't really matter that I got my lure back, because it cost me quite a bit more than that lure anyway once I broke my rod with that damn Power Pro[:@]
Did I mention its great line?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

"I broke my rod "

I was very careful sir...all of the tention was actually on the reel. My rod was straight down in the 6 clock position..I also had the rod 2 feet in th ewater so if th elur ecame undone it wouldn't come back in my face..I had the drag as tight as it would go and it was still slipping .My rod tip was actually touching the hook. Our waters are filled with snakes and gators so I don't usually put my arm too deep in the water.After I was tired of struggling with it { I cut it with some wire cutters} .I was happy and sad..sad...I'd have to retie..happy..knowing with the Polamar knot/ Power pro..I feel very confident when hooking my hawg of a life time...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck one thing i have found is that if you hild you rod straight out and hold the spool the line will either break or come off of the stump and you wont have to remember to loosen the drag back up

Quick Reply: Power Pro Observation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.