Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What do PICKERAL bite??

Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do PICKERAL bite??

What kind of stuff do pickeral usually hit? I went to a canal the other day and had a few hits on a kastmaster, i thought they looked like pickeral and the next thing i know a guy walked down and caught one right in front of me and he told me the place was loaded with em... I have enver fished for em but i wanna go back and give it a whirl? Any tips????
CHAIN PICKERAL...

The only ones i have ever caught were while ice fishing and they were mostly caught on minnows!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What do PICKERAL bite??

White Rooster Tail..they will shred it....probalbly about any color Rooster tail 1/4 or 3/8th ounce should be suffice. Fish about 2 fto 3 feet below th esurface on the edge of where they are hiding. WHAM!! fish on.They are some great eatting fish.boney..but sweet.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never fished for them but they have always tore up my spinnerbaits while bass fishing. I have found that they will hit about anything thats shiney.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never fished for them but they have always tore up my spinnerbaits while bass fishing. I have found that they will hit about anything thats shiney.
That is about right, they will hit almost anything. I will fish a few frogs once in a while and they will hit them as well. Up here they are normally in shallow water for the most part. Perhaps it is because of our colder climate, it's hard to say but they will hit quite hard most of the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great thanks guys i will try them, my brother was actually with me using spinners and such and didnt get a single hit? Hey who knows? The guy that showed up and was catchin em was using a funky rubber minnow blue in color... but i figured i would check with u all here! Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I was strictly fising for them. When I fished the spinner fast..they would not hit. You haveto present the spinner just out of sight , and slow to make it look helpless ..just fast enough to keep the willow leaf blade turning. They really will tear up your lures though. You can always straighten out the wire body but when they rip the hackle off the end of your spinner..then it's time for a new one.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 AM

You can't beat creak chubs for the pike family.. Use the black shiny ones with white bellies and avoid the horned chubs.. A steal leader and a piece of 2 or 3 inch aluminum foil wrapped around your leader in murky water so they can zoom in on them better.. Float them for best results..
Old 07-04-2007, 03:05 AM

I think the real question should be... What lure can I use so that I don't catch pickerel?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the real question should be... What lure can I use so that I don't catch pickerel?

Haha true but there didnt seem to be too much else in the water that day i was fishin! So i figured it would be fun to go back out and play around with them! Havent had a chance to go back out and try yet, but as soon as i do i will let u all know!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

just got back from 2 weeks of peckeral. i did best on the red cranks. brown with yellow cranks. neon orange trick worm. and mepps thats are flashy or red or orange

Quick Reply: What do PICKERAL bite??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.