Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Another gadget bites the dust..

Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another gadget bites the dust..

come try and fish some of these 25,000 + acre lakes without one
Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Come try and fish a 2 acre borrow pit without one! Well sometimes it is clear enough you don't need one... you can look down and see the bottom in 20 foot of water. Of course on those days the fishing is tough enough.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats one good thing about walmart...they will take ANYTHING back....heck...i worked there for a year and we got stuff back we didnt even sale!! how they return stuff up there is beyond me...

one day i was going through the sporting good returns and found a nicely tanned rabbit hide. no joke! who knows what they returned it as or how it got there...i asked the manager and she had no idea and said it was mine if i wanted it....it now sits on my shelf with a single shot percussion gun ontop of it! lol.

glad all the bad turned out half decint for ya!!

how long did the faucet run??? we have a portable dishwasher...if something goes wrong like that and noone is around your going to have a biggggg mess being the water is on the whole time!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya walmart and ams club are good about those things
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Dominant Buck

glad all the bad turned out half decint for ya!!

how long did the faucet run??? we have a portable dishwasher...if something goes wrong like that and noone is around your going to have a biggggg mess being the water is on the whole time!
Mauser 06

I appreciate that sir. Concerning the faucet..I usedto be a maintenance man for a 15 story high rise in Arlington Va...so I knew how to fix it..just procasterating..It had drippped 7 hours. We get up at 4:00 AM.The faucet had 2 separate handles for hot and cold..it would leak slowly under the sink in the middle of the faucet when the pressure of the portable dishwasher was applied. Generally when it's stops running I would turn of the water and relieve the pressure and it could keep me from gettingon my back and changing out the faucet. ..When Iwoke up yesterday there was a huge puddle of water going across the kitchen and dining room. I knew then I could no longer put it off. One thing for sure...I was glad I had bought those 10.00 flexable supply lines.They came right off. The main nuts that hold the faucet were a little bit of a pain.I should of put plumbers grease on them when I put it on..Anyway...I put on another and she is like new. I still don't let the dishwasher stay attached with pressure all night..I've put in about 20 new dishwashers when I was a maintenance man..When this one goes I plan to put one under the counter with it's own hot water supply. The reason I hadn't was because there is no electric near it.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Concerning depth finders...

To be honest ..I fish likeI hunt...I'm not alone..The Lord is with me. Now yes..if I were to fish a new lake and in tournaments..a depth finder would be handy..butI plan to fish the same lakes I always fish...In 1997 we had a serious drought...at that time I gathered old coke bottles off the lakes bottom..I also discovered all those islands of rocks and rock piles..I know my lakes real good.

When I fish or hunt..I may go with my preplanned event for about 1 hour...and if that don't work I'll stop and ask for God's guidance..The scriptures say "In whatsoever you do..do all to the glory of God." I apply everything I do to this verse..I'm sure Gaylord Perry never had a depth finder when he landed that 22 .4 ounce bass in Lake Montgomery ,GA,
I've always found the depth of a lake real fast by counting down my Rooster Tail.

But honestly...I fish with God. Once when I didn't have a boat I got hooked up with a couple of fellows who took me out on thier boat.They were using God's name in vain..They wouldn't stop when I ask them nicely..I had them take me to the shore and I walked home..which was a long ways. I honestly think the malfunction of the depth finder was God's chastizement..He disciplines those he loves.Hebrews 12..He spoketo my heart and told me they would refund me. The lady ask me why I didn't what to exchange it for another one..I told her"God was teaching me to stop wasting my money."
Love you guys,
Just being honest here,
C7
Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

chuck ive been using the same humminbird wide 480 fish finder for almost 10 years. the problem you had ive seen several time before and it can happen to any make of fishfinder its not because it was a humminbird that it had issues. what usually causes that is a short in the circutry which can happen im sure for a number of reasons but the few fishfinders ive seen had one of these 2 reason. first reason is the fish finder was hardwired directly to a deep cycle batter if it would have had a inline fuse or breaker of 4 amps or less it would have prevented the problem. the other one the co-ax cable to the transducer got a kink in it which cause the casing in the cord to expose the core wire and it shorted with the other wire in the cord. which I had this happen with a bottom line fish finder a couple years ago because I had tryed to make it into a portable unit so the cords were loosely strung out throughout the boat.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Highdesert ,
You are correct about the short. Yesterday I was fishing at this big lake..I was striking out so I decided ot go to Saddle Creek. My depth finder was working great then. When I was gettign the boat off of the trailor at Saddle Creek I noticed the transducer wire stuck in the trolling motor bracket..rather tightly. It had done that once before but i thought i had it taped out of the way..Anyway..I headed out toward a nice deep point.Aaron was with me..I turned on the depth finder and there was fish everywhere..I said ,"Aaron, man brother, we are on fish!" I started chucking out my crankbaits and drifting a Carolina Rig..I noticed wherever I went though there were fish..Ut oh..I looked carefully and my depth said 375 feet..in small letters...and then in giant letters and the fish alarm started going off..and then I shut her off and started messing wiht it..Then I took a deep breath and said it's only 220.00 It could be worse.Then, I chucked out a Strike King Spinner bait and caught a nice bass. yep, it was a short.I didn't cut the line but it was pinched enough to short it out. I was also happyto put 220.00 back in my fishing and hunting fund.as well.
God bless,
C7
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

just a FYI.. you do know that those fish "icons" are horribly inaccurate correct? Usually anything floating in the water column will trip the fish icon. Best bet is to use your depth finder only for finding structure

Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen Josh.

Quick Reply: Another gadget bites the dust..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.