Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Crankbaits for walleyes?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Crankbaits for walleyes?

I have an opportunity to go on a trip to a lake in northern Michigan over Memorial Day week-end. From what I've been told, it's packed with 3 to 5 lb smallies but all the locals fish for the walleye. The smallmouth I feel I can get dialed in on pretty quick but what are your faves for walleye? I don't really fish for them a lot but do have some ooportunites here at home if I can catch a few and enjoy it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crankbaits for walleyes?

Geeze, Griz... There are many crankbaits that will work well for walleyes...

Shadraps and Hot-N Tots come to mind immediately, as well as many others...

A lot depends on how deep you plan to fish, whether you'll be casting or trolling, yada, yada....

Personally, most of my plug fishing for marble eyes is done with stickbaits, such as # 11 or # 13 original rapalas...

Also, day in and day out, jigs are VERY tough to beat to beat for walleyes.. I'd recommend twister jigs OR bucktails in dark colors in 1/8 or 1/4 oz. weights...Often when fishing for walleyes the lure can be made much more attractive with the addition of a lip hooked fathead minnow to the jig..

Good luck..Hope this helps...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Crankbaits for walleyes?

Pygmy is exactly right!! I fish walleye in several states and Canada and I have found over the years that a pink 1/4 oz lead head with a white twister tail will always work. Not to mention its alot cheaper when you get snagged while trolling.