Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Lake Erie Steelhead 3-29-07

Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Lake Erie Steelhead 3-29-07

I use egg imitations almost exclusivley. Estaz and globugs in many different colors. If they make it, I tie it. The fish above were caught on this, an orange and yellow Salmon River Flea.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Looks like some great looking fish, congrats! They look awfull fat were they stocked? We do not have any steelheads here, wish we did as it looks like alot of fun.
These fish were probably stocked 2 years ago in the tributary I was fishing in and then live in Lake Erie until they spawn. Unlike salmon, the steelhead will spawn and then go back to the lake, and return in following years.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

intersting looking fly...them steelheads are wierd creatures for being trout! id really like to give them another try sometime...im sure ill make the trip again maybe this fall.

phil...the steelheads in erie are stocked as fingerlings in the spring to imprint them...when the water warms they along with the rest of the steelheads swim out into Lake Erie. i did alot of reading on it the other day..they said usually 3-8lbs is common and are usually 3yrs old when they return..though some return before 3years im sure...they do run upstream in the fall and spawn and leave in the spring...but the bottoms of the creeks are shale and natural reproduction doesnt occur..though some say certain creeks do produce most of them do not...

pretty neat system though IMO...and though they run to a lake, not the ocean they are true steelheads from the west...

i heard back in the past that the salmon and trout fishing in the area was way better than it is now...dont know how true that is..but i heard they used to get alot of big browns, salmon AND steelhead out of the lake erie tribs...now its mostly steelhead and a few salmon plus spring they stock browns...