Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Hey whats the best fly for the early season???

Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Hey whats the best fly for the early season???

Guys this is a question I ask myself alot I try to ask myself this alot. Hey whats the best fly for the early season???All because I never know but I know when I find a hatch all the time and other good types of flies during mid-season. All because I find them trout happy with which ever fly lands on the water because thats when they'll eat which ever fly they find tasty.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey whats the best fly for the early season???

I've had by far my best luck in early season with weighted nymphs...

Here are some patterns that work well nearly everywhere I've fished them..

Bead head Prince Nymph, # 14.....Olive bead head hare's ear nymph, # 14... Bead head pheasant tail nymph, 12-16...

If I had to choose ONE pattern, it would be a tossup between the prince and the hare's ear...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 AM

muddler minnow works well atleast in pennsylvania anyway.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

all the famous nymphs like pheasant tails, hairs ears, prince nymph, copper johns etc etc...plus streamers like buck tails, buggers etc etc...

dont forget san juan worms(many wont call it a fly but its a fish gitter for sure, and the famous(atleast around here for fresh stockies) green weenie.

also depending on the area you can catch early hatches. biggest fish i ever caught was a rainbow...caught it march 28th. it was an early little black stone fly hatch. i caught one of the flies they were rising to. looked very similar to my size 18 blue dun. landed a nice 14-16 inch brownie...then next casts i kept seeing a HAWG rise up and miss my fly. after like 5 misses i hooked him and landed him. hawg of a rainbow for PA. awesome fish.

also theres BWOs and others that may hatch early...thats the beauty of flyfishing...gotta be prepared for whatever may happen.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

beadhead, streamer, nymph, bwo check your hatch chart
Old 03-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

No bead heads here but the hairs ear come up pretty close to the top without the beaded head though. Stonefly nymph works well to but, my favorite would be the red and white maribou (sp) streamer with a golden pheasant tip for a tail. I just can't seem to beat it on the early part of the season.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phil...That streamer sounds like a brookie magnet...An old friend of mine, now long departed, always said that whenever he used a fly for BROOK trout, he made sure there was at least SOME red in it...We don't have a lot of good brook trout fishing locally, mostly browns with a few stocked rainbows and lake run rainbows and steelhead, but my friend would make frequent camping trips into the Adirondack mountains just specifically to fish for native brookies...
Old 03-25-2007, 11:05 AM

Hey thanks I live here in PA where in the state do you live.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

like i said before check your hatch chart and match them up, and use natural colors but stuff that looks like it would be easy prey for the fish or injured
Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM

The fly i always use no matter what time of year and it always produces is the Evil Weevil

Quick Reply: Hey whats the best fly for the early season???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.