Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly rod info please!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fly rod info please!

Hey all I have been trout fishing for years now and am interested in trying fly fishing out? I am wondering what a cheap starter fly rod and reel combo would be? I really dont want to spend much because im not sure if i will like it or not? Thanks for any info?!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fly rod info please!

i recomend borrowing a setup or going fishing with someone that is a good flyfisher...if you like id id save my money and get a half decint setup later..

walmart sales pfluger combos for like 40$...rod, reel, line..everything..but it aint too good lol. line is terrible, rod is made from WOOD. i went that route. while it works i would much rather bought a good rod and reel and line...i put good line on it..it made a huge diffrence...but its still a WOODEN rod lol. i think a half decint rod would make learning to cast and fish 1000% easier...

also do some reading...its a bit diffrent than spin fishing. leaders, tippets, backing, diffrent flies, how to tie all the lines together and hold(knots make or break fly fishers...but theres alot of ways to get around alot of it now adays) ...

my best advice..when you DO get into it..goto a pond with no trees or anything to practice casting...and catch bluegills...you will learn alot. just find a school and cast to them. alot of times they will take anything.

fly fishing for trout can be a long frustrating ride..takes alot of learning and trial and error..its not hard once you learn though..learning is the hard part.

good luck...also maybe goto local fly shops and see if they have classes to learn to flyfish..that can help alot as well...maybe even find one that has a mini guide service...theres one here that charges like 50$ for 4 hrs i think it is..that aint bad and im sure they can speed up the learning process..i learned on my own and its long goin!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser thanks for the info! Truthfully nobody i know has a fly rod setup, we are all kinda spin rod fanatics in this area! Actually what i pla on using the pole more for small streams where i dont have to actually go into the whole casting deal! I use a lot of wax worms and light larvae and was thinking that a fly rod would be a better way to just reach out that extra 5-15ft without any extra weight? Am I looking for the right thing any suggestions and would you still recommend a ''good' fly rod for this? Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome West to a whole new way of fishing. First off, if you want to give yourself the best shot at success right off the bat, don't go cheap. There are rods you can get for less money than what I'll suggest, but if you get even half way serious, they'll just be a waste of money. You'll be able to cast better than what they will let you in no time. IMO, a great way to start off is the Redington Red.Fly2. For trout you will want either the 8' or 9' 5 wt. If you plan to split time fishing with, saytrout and smallmouth(another great fish on the fly rod), go with a 9' 6 wt. You can get this rod from Cabela's for $99. Any old reel will do. You can pick one up on eBay for under $20.Unless you plan on fishing for hawgs, a simple click-pawl drag will work, forget the disc drags for now. Don't skimp on the line either. I prefer Cortland 333 or Sci Anglers Air Cel, either one can be gotten for $30 or less.20 lb. backing is about $5-10 for 100 yds depending on what brand and where you buy it.
Another way to go about it would be order a combo rod/reel from someplace, most come with the line and backing already. Just be sure you are getting a decent rod. I really can't say that enough. Some other manufacturers that produce rods in that price range, that are worth what you're paying are: St Croix(Premier-$100, Reign-$130), Temple Fork Outfitters(Series One-$100), and the new Echo(Classic-$140). I haven't cast an Echo yet, but the buzz has been good. Of the two St Croix rods, the Reign is built on the old Imperial blank and hasa great medium-fast action. I really like the TFO.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 bucks at walmart
Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok ok...a bait fishermen with a flyrod...i can help ya out there ALOT lol. dad had the same fly rod for well over 20yrs. he dont even use fly line. spools it up with 4lb mono...hook and split shot when need and he can flip his bait out there a decint ways..with deadly precision. i think his rod is 9foot..it works REALLY well. i fished like that for a bit.

you can still use fly line and leader if you wanted. dad doesnt but i have and it works..i think he gets more accuracy his way though..ive watched him catch some BIG small mouths like that..first fish i ever caught was on his rod and a worm..he casted it out and hooked the rainbow and i reeled it in. im pretty sure i was 1..possibly 2 at the oldest. any ole flyrod will work for that...

im not a purist by any means..just got away from trout fishing with bait. i enjoy flyfishing and making my own spinners and fishing them and stick baits for trout now..the fly rods extra legnth makes flipping light weights easy..unless its a decint sized creek dad uses nothing but a minnow or piece of night crawler. lets it hit right where he wants and dead drifts it holding the line in one hand. when the fish hits he lifts the rod and reels it in..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks mauser again! I also am basically a spinner fisherman, and also tie my own spinners but you know trout sometimes just want nothing to do with the good ol' spinner! So i will go to the bait when needed, that is why i didnt want to spend a lot of money on a fly rod setup! I think i might give the cheap fly rod with 2-4lb mono on it and c how it works!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would do what most of these folks are saying and get a half decent one. Then onceI had one, I would get an old fly and cut the bottom part of the hook off it. This is so you can take it out side in an old field or your yard if there is enough room and pratice casting with it. As with anything the more you practice the better you get. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas offers good quality rods w their combos. I got both my kids started with their combo kits for around $80. They included rod, reel, carrying case, line, leaders, some flies, forceps, chest pack and few other goodies. This outfit will last you a good long time. Good luck w whatever you buy.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

another option i thought of...if you want to stick with a spinning reel ive seen guys use "noodle rods" on small creeks in the same manor. they are LONG rods. i think 10-12 foot long made for light line. found one at cabelas... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

theres other options out there if you look..just giving you another option if you dont really wanna get into flyfishing..just looking for a good small stream rod for precision placement.

like i said dad done it all his life with a fly rod. he can reach places i cant with my 5 1/2 or 6 foot spinning rod..im pretty accurate when i fish the same wieght spinners...but with a 9+foot rod he can drop it right under the bush or edge of the tree roots etc where it can be hard for others to get into...

Quick Reply: Fly rod info please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.