Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Feedback & Ideas from Tournament Guys

Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feedback & Ideas from Tournament Guys

Wow - glad I finally posted here.Should have done this a month ago.
Getting alot of good ideas.Have a VFW meeting tonight and will be able to pass on some good info that I've picked up here.

Yea - I don't want to make this whole thing to complicated from a rules standpoint.Tryin to make it simple.At times I'm thinkng to hard on "what If's".

The catch and release(at catch site)does increase the "Cheat Factor" but we/I will be watching very closely from the water.I will also address all fisherman on the "cheat factor" and play upon everbodys "Honesty" in the competition.

From what I'm hearing around here from a couple tourney guys is we need to make the prize money enough to get a showing.

We might start this thing a little earlier - 7-7:30 vs 8am.If I had it my way it would start at 6am !

The 1/8" rule sounds good and everybody should be able to read to 1/8".

What is a "Bump Board" ??

You say boaters should be drawn 1st and then a partner - please explain - I'm a bit thick headed How would you handle that.

I guess my next step is to create a reg form and where do applicants sign up and pay.Probably at VFW post would be easiest.Only taking the 1st 15 boats.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions,ideas etc...A Big Help in setting up this 1st Annual VFW tournament
Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Sorry a bump board is the measuring stick that us tournament fisherman use to make sure a fish is legal. We call it bumping fish.

As far as drawing just put all your boaters in a hat, and non boaters in a different hat. First draw the boater than draw a non boater and they are partners. If you have more boaters than non after all the pairings are done with non boaters then just draw boaters and pair them up until everyone has a partner. The boaters can decide between themselves who's boat they are going to use.

I wouldn't worry to much about cheating, we do this every year in our club and we have never had a problem or concern about anyone being dishonest.

The draw tournament is one of the most fun tourney's of the year. You get to fish with someone you might not normally fish with, you will learn something new and hopefully get to know your partner better and make a great friend. For our club that is what it is all about. Our motto, friends first then fishing. We live by this and it really does work.

As far as upping the ante, depends on what you want to accomplish. If your just trying to get a group of people together to fish and have a great time with some prizes or attracted some tourney fisherman. Me personlly I would fish it just because it sounds like a great time, but you don't want to make your entry fees so much some people feel they can't afford it.

Our regular tourney fees are 40.00 per boat or team. Makes it affordable for everyone.

Let us know how the meeting goes at the VFW tonight and if you have more questions feel free, glad to help anytime.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rules need to be implemented and put in place especially when money is involved. I know your intend is for everyone to have a good time but when you have money involved it changes what the main purpose is. I have also fished tournaments and there is a lot of diff between loseing a 4 or 5 lb bass when your fishing with your family as opposed to fishing in a competetion and losing the same fish. In a tournament you just lost some big $$$ as opposed to fishing with your family, you only lost a little bit of your ego. Money tends to take it to another level which brings out some intresting characters in people.
I would keep the rules posted within sight at sign in or at the captains meeting but there has to be some guidelines set where everyone is operateing on the same level and no surprises after the fact. I too would look at what would happen at the worst case scenero, you never know.
We always had a 14" size limit and had to be weighed in at the ramp and in the event of a tie, it went to who had the big fish for the tournament. I don't like the ideal of catch and release at the place where there caught, but I do believe in all fairness, the bass should be weighed in. As far as the other fish, (Bream,ect)take em home and eat em.
The people who don't have a live well need to improvise to keep their bass alive till they get to weigh in or pounds will be deducted.
Good luck.

Bobby
Old 03-02-2007, 07:19 AM

If your bass season isn't open yet for keeping bass you can't keep them in the livewells.

Michigans bass season doesn't start until memorial weekend, however catch and release is legal starting the last saturday in April. That is why we have so many catch and release tournys here.

Maybe you should give each boat a copy of the rules to keep on the boat, that way if they have a question they can look it up.

I agree with 121553 that money does change things, and you have to think about the worst case, however what your doing isn't a club, sounds to me like it's more of a fund raiser with some prises.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok - Here are the rules/regs I've drawn up for the Catch and Release Tourney.

I need to get the flyer,rules and regs Out ASAP.This will give me a month to get for Registration fee's etc...

Any thoughts on Rules/Regs - Let er Rip

[quote]

1st Annual [/b]Milford[/b] VFW Bass Tournament ([/b]Post 6483)[/b]
Williamsville Road[/b] - [/b]Milford[/b], [/b]Delaware[/b][/b]

VFW Beach – Haven Lake
Sunday, June 10th 2007 (Rain or Shine)
Pre-Tournament Sign In 6:30a.m. VFW Beach Lake Front.
Send Off 7:15a.m. Check-In: 11:30a.m.

Cash Prizes; 1st $65 – 2nd $35 – 3rd $25

The VFW “Tiki Hut” will be Open after the Tournament for Food and Beverage !
VFW Boat Launch is located off the entrance road to main building on left side into a small lake channel that will accommodate Boats up to 18’. Ample parking available
[/b]
Rules and Regulations[/b]
1. [/b]Participants will conform to all Delaware Boating Laws and Responsibilities and Delaware Fish and Wildlife regulations as it may pertain to this tournament. Please note there is a No Wake policy on Haven Lake. No Alcoholic beverages will be allowed in Boats or the Send Off/Check In point NO EXCEPTIONS
2. [/b]PARTICIPATION:[/b] Open to the public, 18 years of age or older unless accompanied by adult. Proof of age to the satisfaction of tournament officials is the responsibility of the competitor.
3. [/b]PRE REGISTRATION:[/b] Available at the Milford VFW from 12noon to 8:00 pm daily (pre-registration required). The maximum is 12 boaters that must also register a Non-Boater partner. Non-Boaters will be paired up with Boaters via blind drawing on day of tournament. We need 12 Boaters and 12 Non-Boaters to be drawn off to make this tournament work!
4. [/b]FEES/RELEASE OF LIABILITY:[/b] Entrance fee is $20.00 per fishermen payable at time of registration. Tournament officials reserve the right to refund any entry fee, if they shall choose for any reason not to accept the application for entrance. Anglers must sign a Release of Liability form prior to tournament, check in.
5. [/b]PAIRING:[/b] There shall be “Boaters” and “Non-Boaters”. All Boaters must be matched up with Non-Boaters via blind drawing at the 6:30 am check-in.
6. [/b]CATCH AND RELEASE:[/b] This will be a Catch and Release Bass Tournament “At the Catch Location” for any Bass 10 inches[/b] or longer. This is defined as a Bass caught/landed on hook and line, measured to nearest 1/2 inch[/b] with a measuring device supplied by VFW tournament officials. Each fisherman will be supplied with a form to properly document their catch and length. Both fisherman must witness the measurement and documented length. The fish will be documented on supplied form and immediately released[/i] at the catch location.
7. [/b]TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT:[/b] No live bait, prepared, or frozen bait. Method of catch restricted to artificial lures and pork strips. Trolling as a method of fishing is not permitted. One rod and reel combination may be used at one time by any one fisherman. Fly fishing will not be permitted.
8. [/b]CODE OF CONDUCT:[/b] All fishermen agree to fish with the Assigned Partner as Drawn, in a Sportsmanlike manner. Fisherman participating in VFW fishing events will at all times observe the Code of Conduct and may not reflect unfavorably on the sport of fishing, the VFW its members or affiliates, officers or representatives, tournaments or sponsors. All fishermen will in their best efforts provide a high degree of integrity and conservation in the sport of angling. Any Competitor who violates the Code of Conduct may be penalized which may include: Disqualification from event, forfeiture of registration fees, any winnings, up to disqualification from any future VFW fishing events.

9. [/b]CHECKPOINT VFW BEACH FRONT; SEND OFF/CHECK-IN:[/b] There will be one official point for tournament launch/send off in the morning and check-in at the designated time as set by the tournament director. Competitors not at the checkpoint/check in at the designated time will be penalized a deduction of 1 inch per minute. Any competitor more than 15 minutes late for send-off or check-in will be disqualified for the day.

10. [/b]SCORING FOR CASH PRIZES:[/b] 1st place will be awarded $65.00[/b] for the total of all Bass caught, at a minimum length of 10 inches and over and properly documented by any single fisherman. Example 5 Bass caught at; 14 1/2 +13 1/2 + 15 1/2 + 10 + 14 = 67 1/2 inches total. $35.00[/b] 2nd place = 53 ½ inches total. $25.00[/b] 3rd place 35 inches total. In case of a tie, combining awards and dividing them equally shall resolve positions.

FINALLY:Boogidee – Boogidee – Boogidee - Lets Go Fishing !
[/i][/b][quote][/i] [/i][/b]
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a blast..wish I was there. I'd be Rooster Tailing it. That's a great ,quick lure to get some quick inches..
Old 05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

where would it be?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be at;

1st Annual Milford VFW Bass Tournament (Post 6483)
Williamsville Road - Milford, Delaware

VFW Beach – Haven Lake

I know it sounds little vague but anybody in the area knows where Haven Lake is and Williamsville Rd/VFW.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

may also want to make everyone fishing have a polaroid/digital camera to document the lengths.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys think about the price to enter vs cash prizes for 1,2,3 place?? Are these prizes always in Cash or does any club/organization every pay with a check?? Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Feedback & Ideas from Tournament Guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.