Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What do you need...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What do you need...

I like useing the polar tip-ups for a lot of other types of fish as they can run with it. We do not have the walleyes or pike here. We do have pickeral and Lake trout here though. Most all my ice fishing is with live bait though.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Ok I've thought more about it and here's what I'd bring:

2lb rod for perch
5lb rod for walleyes
jigs
minnows
walleye tackle kit
2 5 gallon pails
folding auger
camping chairs
sled

What do tip ups do?Do you set your rod on it and when a fish hits it the flag pops up?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mallard stalker

What do tip ups do?Do you set your rod on it and when a fish hits it the flag pops up?
What a friggin idiot, God [8D]

A tip up is its own thing it has a spool that goes down in the water on a shaft and then on the other end of the shaft there is a notched trigger which you put the flag under and when a fish bites it makes the trigger spin causing the flag to go up alerting the user that there is a fish on the user then picks up the tip up which is usually frozen in the whole and you pull up the fish hand over hand.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: travisville

ORIGINAL: mallard stalker

What a friggin idiot, God

A tip up is its own thing it has a spool that goes down in the water on a shaft and then on the other end of the shaft there is a notched trigger which you put the flag under and when a fish bites it makes the trigger spin causing the flag to go up alerting the user that there is a fish on the user then picks up the tip up which is usually frozen in the whole and you pull up the fish hand over hand.
Why are you calling me an idiot? I'm just a kid i was just asking you what a tip up is.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

I wasn't serious I was just quoting napoleon dynamite. Sorry If you took it to heart but they showed pictures of tip ups. And you're not the only kid on here.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry If you took it to heart but they showed pictures of tip ups.
I am sorry if it offended you but, I see nothing wrong with posting pics of a tip-up or 2. One was home made and one was purchased. Basically I am telling mallard stalker that you do not need to go all out to try ice fishing. Here we use a lot of different types as I currently have 8 different types for my style of fishing. Sometime we use an alder bush we call a withe. We freeze one end in the ice with the tip hanging over the hole. There a line is attached with hook and sinker, and set at the desired depth. Halfway from the tip of bush to the ice we like to tie half a playing card to keep the line moving a little bit. When a fish is on the bush bounces up and down. Also we like to use tip-ups as we like to have some nice fires on shore to cook our lunches over. So ice fishing doesn't need to be costly and on a first try I would go cheap for a while. Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: travisville

I wasn't serious I was just quoting napoleon dynamite. Sorry If you took it to heart but they showed pictures of tip ups. And you're not the only kid on here.
I'm so sorry, its ok.But i'm the youngest one here(11)
Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

im a beginer but have caughten them most of my trips out

youll need a pole... 25 bucks? mines kind of stiffer than most other peoples since i also plan to go for pike walleye trout
line ive got 6 pound fire ice i think its called
and you just need some jigs .... they are like 1.00 each
split shots
and a hang auger 6 or 8 inches theyre about 40 bucks
Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a 1/4 oz buck shot rattle spoon with a either a full or head of a minnow. We slaughter the eyes with htese on Lake of the Woods.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

Try a 1/4 oz buck shot rattle spoon with a either a full or head of a minnow. We slaughter the eyes with htese on Lake of the Woods.
I saw a few guys on tv that were fishing Lake of the woods. They were also using that buckshot rattle spoon from northland tackle. They hammered them up there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.