Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Winter Large Mouth

Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Winter Large Mouth

Does anybody here fish for Large Mouths in the winter? And do you have any success? What types of bait/lures do you use?

On Lake Lanier, Georgia, we have alot of bass and striper. We also now have...Northern Pike and Walleye. The water RARELY freezes or gets any ice on it; even if we have a week of sustained freezing temps. The ponds are useless to bass fish in the winter. However, while a buddy and I were trolling for striper last winter in Lake Lanier, I hooked this nice Large Mouth. Having minimal experience with Large Mouth in the winter, I was looking for some tips on catching more.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Winter Large Mouth

man that's a pretty fish. nice colors
Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Sweet bass! Oh, wait, I took that picture, but it was a sweet bass for the winter....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We get them through the ice come on minnows. Caught some of my biggest under the ice.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice fish cervid, for winter time i like jig & pig, jigging spoons, and slow crankbaits, but i feel for you man, lanier has always been a tough pond for me, useally had my best luck targeting the spots, BTW i sent you a p.m. with some info on lanier, hope it helps...
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I caught alot of cold water bass in wv, pa, md, and va on steep bluff banks, the fish usually suspend in 15 - 25 feet of water. Also check out the ends of points, channels, mud or rock flats when it starts to warm up, and emergent grass beds.

I dont really have much to worry about here in Texas about cold water bassing - the lake by my house is a power plant lake is stays around 60 degrees in the winter. Choke Canyon however, drops into the 50's, and deep water submerged structure near the channels are where I key in on.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm from Florida and we do get cold fronts. I'd fish deep structure and SMALL baits. And; fish those baits very slow. either a straight white Roostr Tail or 6 inch rubber worm jussst barely crawling .orthe spinner ..just fast enough to turn the blade.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to fish the heck out of Lake sinclair that's a little south of you. I never did any good with plastic worms or such once the water got cold. I mostly used cranked baits and spinner baits and I moved them pretty slow. When the weather was really bad, I'd get my big ol balso b in white and I'd fish it around the banks in coves that were near deep water. I caught some really nice bass that way. A friend of mine use to catch a lot of spotted bass on Lanier in the winter time. He would locate schools of bass on channels and drop offs down to 60 foot deep and then he would drop a silver spoon down on top of them and jig it up and down off the bottom. When you do this, the fish don't really hit it, they just take it in their mouths as if falls, so you have to pay alot of attention to your line. If the line stops moving before it gets to the bottom, set the hook. You also have to keep the line tight enough to where you can feel the spoon flutter as it falls, if it stops fluttering jack some jaws.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fished a weed line on Sunday with tip-ups just using large roaches. Put them down about 8 inches off the bottom and in 3 hours caught 4 realnice large mouth. We also had tip-ups out another 20 yard from there and in the same time caught 3 huge northern's. Using the same exact setup.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM

i use a jig with a crawdad trailer i use it by draging and it and it works really good.

Quick Reply: Winter Large Mouth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.