Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Force Motors...Any good??

Old 01-14-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Force Motors...Any good??

Hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knows if "Force" motors are any good. Or does anyone have a "Force" motor that have had any troubel with it. thanx a lot
Old 01-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Force Motors...Any good??

Save your money silver...I've known 2 people that have them...Nothing but trouble..Always flooding out..I believe they are low grade merc's....
Old 01-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

They're actually the old Chrysler outboards bought out by a subdivision of Mercury. When they first came out they were a real POS but since then they hired two of the best engineers in the outboard industry and have improved immenseley. It's too bad they got off to such a bad start because they're not that bad now. Trust me, I know, I've been to their service school in New York.
When they first came out the powerheads had difficulties with the cooling system mainly because of poor oil lubrication on the crankshafts and eventually came up with a redesigned head. The reason the earlier ones and Chryslers were noisy was loose pistons because tight ones run hotter which was a problem.
But to make a long story short, if you get a good deal on a recent one get it other than that forget it. I'd put the bad to good line about 1990 but will get back on that after checking my records later if you want.
Silver,
What horsepower you looking at?
jersey may have heard from those that had some of the earlier ones, not sure.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:28 PM

Thanx for the info. everyone...Hey "Billyb" im thinking about getting a 1996 40hp Force Motor with power tilt for $1,200. Do u think that is a good deal?
Old 01-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well I haven't been in that business for over 10 years but seem to remmember a rule of thumb. When buying NEW motors, the under 10 horse ones were 200 bucks a horse or under 2 grand for a ten horse. It then went down in 2 steps from 10-20 horse was 150 a horse and above that was 100 a horse. So $1200 for a used forty? Well half of 4 grand puts you below a rip off but...
You have a lot of things to consider and find out FOR SURE!
1- Has it ever been used in salt water?
2- How many hours on it?
3- What are the maintenance records like? (I would want paper receipts for documented proof)
4- Take the bottom screw out of where you fill the lower unit oil and look for 1 water, 2 white oil, 3 dark grey like tiny metal flake in the oil meaning the gears are very worn (all you need is to see a few drops)
5- Take the hood off and is it like showroom or oily and cruddy in spots?
Definitely hear it run and see that the trim/tilt works all the way up and down. Does it sound like a deisel engine like on a truck? That would mean sloppy worn pistons.
Another consideration: Where will you have it serviced once you buy it?
6- I almost forgot the easiest. What's the prop look like: 1 all banged up, 2 some worn paint, 3 brand new (I like to see #2 that means normal, because if a new prop was put on WHY?) How does the skeg look (the very bottom plate below the lower gear housing)
If I think of more I'll jot it down and post back.
If it is mint, get it. But let me describe my current motors so you know. I have a Mariner, a Johnson and a Mercury. Though the Merc is very old, it's still kickin'. But I worked on Johnsons and Mercs before I ever saw a Force so that's my preferrence.
7- What did it go for new? Is it on a boat and what does the hull look like?
BTW make sure you get the right length shaft for the boat you'll put it on. They only come 2 ways, long or short.
I've got a buddy I'll call and see if he agrees with me on this and get back to you. I'm gonna hop off the net and call but he works shifts so if I don't report right back he wasn't home. Give me about a half hour from now to be safe. He likes to talk.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

They were the older ones billy..Interesting info...Thanks...
Old 01-15-2002, 05:33 PM

Thanx for the info. everyone