Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fly fishing

Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 PM

Default RE: fly fishing

This is probably a step up from the rod you were looking at before. I have cast a pfleuger rod before (don't know what model) and it was clearly not in the category of quality rods. That said, for $40 you are getting everything you need to try it out. If I might suggest a couple other low cost alternatives that are better:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=70775&hvarDept=175&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=73062&hvarDept=175&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat600231&id=0011165319105a&navCount=9&amp ;podId=0011165&parentId=cat600231&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600231& hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat600231&id=0029947318574a&navCount=14&am p;podId=0029947&parentId=cat600231&masterp athid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=6IS& rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600231&am p;hasJS=true

They have a few other combos at Cabela's that wouldn't be bad either, but in all honesty I think you'll end up frustrated with a combo that retails for less than $100. There are some bargain priced combos starting at that price range that are much more serviceable, and should allow for a somewhat shorter learning curve. If you honestly don't think you'll like flyfishing, go ahead and get something likeyou posted about. If you're going to give it a fair shot, save up until you can get something in the $100 range. Another alternative is to try one of the flyfishing specific bulletin boards (like www.flyangersonline.com) and keep an eye out for used equipment. I wouldn't count on it, but you might also make a post there asking if someone has something used that they'd let go to a beginner for a low price. See if there's anyone living in your area thatmight be willing to meet up with you somewhere and give you a couple quick lessons to get you going.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I agree w/ river otter. I even went ahead and looked up the same outfit he did.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=70775&hvarDept=175&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

$100 for an outfit is about as cheap as you should go for a decent quality set up. I do have a Pfluger fly rod I use for bass, but it is one of their better models. Fisherman's factory outlet is a great place to find some decent stuff cheap. Like this rod right here is pretty sweet for $60, and it is a 6 wt. $100 off reg. price. http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=1235Their stock is always changing as well. I don't see that they have any great reels right now though. You can skimp a bit on the reel, but the rod is most important. Get good line if you can as well. $60 Might seem expensive for line, but it'll last you a long time if you get good stuff.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

The stuff in the picture is crap. There ia alot of gear out there for a decent price. A rule of thumb: If the rod has a foam handle = crap. Stick to the major companies. There is a huge dif in product and you truely get what you pay for. The cheapest set up I've seen that is worth anything is from Sportsman's Warehouse. It is a Cortland rod, STH reel, and 444 line for $89. It is a great way to get started. It is only at SW.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:56 PM

hey stalker . dont try fly fishing because i did and three trip later you will be hooked . just kidding its a great hobbie. you should join trout unlimited . you can meet alot of great people and learn alot to . you CAN TIE FLYs just ask alot of ??????? well hope i help out
Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i suggest going to a fly shop if there is one in your area and talk to some of the local experts on whats a great starter kit. If you have any questions just pm me and i will gladly answer your questions
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would most def. recomend getting a cortland 9 ft. to start with get a graphite black and then get a reel thawt starts out at 50 and u should be good just get a good supply of fly patterns pm for more info i fly fish everyday.