Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

catfish rods......

Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: catfish rods......

i should known a 35$ combo was JUNK......along with my pfluger fly rod combo...i know its WOODEN also lol.......i bought both when i was younger and just cutting grass for a living lol...35$ plus tax was ALOT! lol......all them cheap rods are is WOOD with fiberglass and paint on the outside..maybe just paint! lol......but its funny the guide came out of the threads before the rod broke...that actually caused the rod to break....oh well.....next year ill have 2 new rigs hopefully....keep the junk ones at home for backups.....im surprised they lasted this long....i cant count the number of 1-10lb cats i reeled in on them.....still debating..spinning or baitcasting.....im not ordering any time soon....probably next spring...april or mayish probably....i dont need them till then...
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of my catfish rods are the Bass Pro Shops Catmaxx series. I have one with a Catmaxx baitcaser on a 7'6" pole and a Catmaxx spinning reel on a 8' pole.

Both work great, but the spinning reel is IMO alot better setup.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

also gotta ask how did you ever come across carpmasters?? asfar as I knew those were only available in the UK.
My local basspro shop had them. I believe he has a gold set right now of CarpMasters. If you want his website let me know.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll 2nd the Ugly Stick w/ Abu Ambasseduer (sp?) reel. I've got 2 of them and they make great cat rods.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Back in Feb. I went to a Garage Sale. First thing I saw were 4 BIG rods. I snatched them up and looked around some more but found nothing.
I went back to check out and ask how much they were. To my supprise the lady said nothing. When I ask why she told me that her father wanted it that way. He died of cancer but they had talked about what to do with things. He had friends that he wanted different fishing/hunting things to go to and some that they sold before I got there. He told her that the 4 rods were for catfish and that was what he liked to fish for the most. He told her that someone would want them and when they did she was to give them to that person.
I did not know what to say. I thanked her and told her I would put them to good use. So far I feel I have let her down. Only caught 3 cats on 2 of these and the largest was only 5lbs. With this setup thats like catching a minnow.
One is a FuJi FPS-24 5' 10"
Second one is a Pflueger P2559 5' 10"
Those are the small ones. The other two are heavy rods but with no marking on them.
I have a Daluia Millionare 314 that I like to use.
I want to catch one that will pull the boat around the lake.[8D]
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 2 catfish rods i use are also the combos from wal mart. I havent had a problem with them and have had them for about 8 years now. One is a Shakespeare, cant remember the other one, it may be a shakespeare too. I have only had one rod break on me my entire life, and it was a little zebco when i was a kid. I got hung up and was trying to free it and it just snapped in half.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Who

Back in Feb. I went to a Garage Sale. First thing I saw were 4 BIG rods. I snatched them up and looked around some more but found nothing.
I went back to check out and ask how much they were. To my supprise the lady said nothing. When I ask why she told me that her father wanted it that way. He died of cancer but they had talked about what to do with things. He had friends that he wanted different fishing/hunting things to go to and some that they sold before I got there. He told her that the 4 rods were for catfish and that was what he liked to fish for the most. He told her that someone would want them and when they did she was to give them to that person.
I did not know what to say. I thanked her and told her I would put them to good use. So far I feel I have let her down. Only caught 3 cats on 2 of these and the largest was only 5lbs. With this setup thats like catching a minnow.
One is a FuJi FPS-24 5' 10"
Second one is a Pflueger P2559 5' 10"
Those are the small ones. The other two are heavy rods but with no marking on them.
I have a Daluia Millionare 314 that I like to use.
I want to catch one that will pull the boat around the lake.[8D]
thats a reel seat model number lol!! i guess the rod had no other markings? I have the stuff to make custom rods thought Id make a business out of it but it never took off but Fuji fps-24 stood out to me because one of my last projects i used a fuji fps-24 reel seat lol!!

nice story though man kinda touched my heart I think when I pass on if I dont have kids that like to fish I think id want my next of kin to just give my fishing things away to the right person too.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

HDW,
Thats all the markings it has. Did not know if it was a model # of the rod or what.