Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

I'm sooo lost I need some serious help!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm sooo lost I need some serious help!!!

First , I'm a visual person . I need to mentally picture what your situation looks like .Here are a few qustions.
1. Are you walking around this lake or fishing from a boat? Been bank fishing, when the water is low its about impossible to launch my boat.

2. What kind of aquatic plants are in the lake? looks like duckweed, lots of small leaf clusters. its real thick in the shallows grows from the bottom to the surface.

3. What is the bottom like? Sandy , rocky, muck, weedy , brush ?a mixture of sand and rock bottom some banks are are all rock lots of weeds in the shallows and im sure through out the like just most visible in the shallows.

4. How big is this lake? about 100 acres

5. Does it get alot of pressure? only from the trout fisherman fishing the banks, sofar the only boat ive seen on it was mine.

Worm color and presentation can make a difference. Last week I took a very nice young man fishing who had much less experience than me. First..I went to a place where there was a lot less fishing pressure. The fish would not take any kind of spinner, top water or crank baits. When that happens I must patiently fish rubber worms. So Chris and I began fishing .I was using a Junebug type color Texas Rig and Chris was using Fire and Ice Culpret worm with a Carolina Rig. He was getting twice as many hits as me. After his 3rd nice fish ..I ended up rigging just like him and using Fire and Ice as well. Then, I was catching fish. High Desert Wolf...I'm sure you know these things but here are the types of structures I fish.. from Greatest to Least. Also I fish alot by the moon phases. New moon being best .and the week before the full moon being next.

1. I love the points of an island. I back off abouit 20 yds and fish that point real good.

2. Drop offs. Where it goes from 12 footish to 3 foot .

3, Brushpiles in deep water.

4. Flipping cat tails in the summer can still be productive if water is at least 3 foot deep.

When no lures produce....I fish my 6" rubber worms real slow. Don't be afraid to change colors.
Some of my best colors.
A. Red Shad
B. Fire and Ice
C. Black Grape
D. Black / Blue tail
E Black / Green Tail
F. Christmas Tree glitter
G. Purple / Red tail

When texas rigging....light bullet sinker.
When Carolina rigging...small split shot only 14" above worm

Been working for me.
God bless,
Chuck7

PS Get away from the extras like snap swivels, great big hooks, and use the lightest and most invisable line you can get by with. Also...I stick a glass rattle in my rubber worm. Bass also attack by sound. That is why they have those lateral line on their sides.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Whats the water clarity like? What size line are you useing?
the water is ultra clear in the deeper parts and slightly staind in the shallows.Ive been using that cajun red line in 10 lbs and 12 lbs.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

when the bite gets tough, the best advice i can give is down-size baits and line dia. what body of water are you fishing, you may have to fish extremely deep with a drop shot rig, what is the water clarity like, water temp, the fish may be suspending[:@], following bait, look for bird activity for schooling fish,

man it could be so many different things, BTW sending you a p.m. that may help some
its a small mountain resivoir in the prescott national forest called Lynx Lake, its difficult to even get an idea from fishing reports since the only fish reports I can find are for trout. most everyone from around here all they fish for is trout[:@]. To be honest Im trouted out[:'(], time to get back to bassin' my true obsession.

the water clarity is pretty darn clear you can see the bottom in 20 foot of water then the shallows are somewhat staind but still pretty clear. right now the water temp is probably about 72 to 78 degrees. from what i can tell theres no bait fish like shad or minnows the closest thing to bait fish might be small trout. I watch the birds and they are after the dying trout that didnt survive the stocking. theres plenty of schooling trout since they stock the lake with 3,000 trout a month roughly from september to june.

Im gonna hit the lake tommorw im gonna try some carolina rigged lizards and worms see if it produces. the only thing i dont like about carolina rigging I have tendency to gut hook fish but at this point im willing to try anything to get some bass on the line.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Whoa..I'd be hooking into some of those trout. We don't have fresh water trout in Florida. If your ever in Florida I'll put you on some bass.
c7
Old 07-18-2006, 07:30 AM

For fishing in ultra clear water like your fishing in I would recomend taking that red line off and going with some low visablity line like clear/blue or low vis. green made by stren. I like the green myself. That red line has got to stand out like a sore thumb to those fishin clear water.If you have a spinning rod put either 8 or 6 lb test on it. I use 6 lb myself.

Some times whenfishing clear wateryou need togo to a much smaller lure and finess fish it. Where I live in kansas we have some strip pits that are pretty clear. In the hot summer months those clear pits are hard to fish. But we can catch smaller bass on road runners, 2" or smaller curly tail grubs, or tube jigs (the small ones used for crappie and panfish) fished on either 1/8 or 1/16 ouce hooks. Those fish we catch are down to 20 feet deep. Clear water can be pretty dang hard to fish.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually fish bass in cold water lakes here around 10-15 feet. That
is not to say you cannot catch them deeper as we have around
35 feet. Clear water copper color seems to help attrack them. At
times we catch them right in with the Lake Trout, when trolling
cut bait behind some spoons. The stuff you folks use I have never
used much of. If you are ever up this way contact me I will take
you on a bass fishing trip you would never forget. As I live close to the St.Criox River ( famous for smallmouths ) and most of us just like catching
them here for fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

trout coplored swim bait time!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I would go to the Rooster Tail. I fished in some really clear stuff in VA and the Rooster tails did very well ...also the Rapalas. Both companies make a rainbox trout color in thier lure. Clear line and just fast enough to get the lure working correctly about 2 foot OFF THE BOTTOM.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 AM

have you tried using live bait ? I better enjoy a day on the lake catching fish on live bait than fishing with artificial lures and catching nothing and getting frustrated
Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jody A

have you tried using live bait ? I better enjoy a day on the lake catching fish on live bait than fishing with artificial lures and catching nothing and getting frustrated
Ya cant use live bait in AZ, unless you catch it and use in from the same lake you are fishing. the only legal store bought live bait would be wax worms or nightcrawlers. this particular lake doesnt have minnows or shad which leaves crawfish the only available live bait, which would work for bass but I get burned up quick if im not doing something so setting out a line and waiting for a bite is kinda out of the question the only time i dont mind setting and waiting for a bite is when Im after catfish at night and have a cooler full of sodas and some munchies and friend to chew the fat with.

Quick Reply: I'm sooo lost I need some serious help!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.