Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Went catfishing and caught nothing but crawfish

Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went catfishing and caught nothing but crawfish

the lady and I went catfishing monday night. everytime we thought we were getting a bite we'd reel in a crawfish latching onto our chicken gizzards by 10 pm when we decided to call it a night and head home we had over 5 dozen crawfish in the bucket. yesterday we picked up some steaks and had a awesome crawfish and steak dinner. Boy did i pig out on those tasty little critters im gonna be burping the taste of crawfish for the next week.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Went catfishing and caught nothing but crawfish

Shoulda baited up with a crawfish. Caught my biggest catfish on a crawfish. They make good bait. I would not eat one of them minature lobsters though.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did use some as bait, and still only caught crawfish. LOL catching crawfish on a crawfish. this lake is infested with them bet I can go fishing again next week and catch just as many of them.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I would get me some crawfish traps..
Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

AMEN REV
Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

actually there was a guy out there with 3 trap he noticed howmany crawfish we had caught in such a short time. I think he was kinda jealous he said he was there all day and only caught 6 crawfish. He then grabbed his fishing rod and ask if he might beable to get a couple chicken giazzards from me and began catching them on his rod like we were doing. he ended up leaving that night with a couple dozen himself.

this weekend im debating wether to hit the verde river for some big flatheads or go back to that little lake and catch a few dozen more crawfish.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

We catch crawfish on worms up here. I find that they are very territorial and will even attach themselves to line only if it bothers them. Put them in a bucket together and they start to attack one another, ever seen a crawfish w/one claw? When we want to catch them we use nets, 2 steel poles about 3.5' long w/net strung b/w, a line of weights on the bottom. Just walk along displacing all the rocks in your path and the crawdads will move away from the drivers and into the net. Some scoops we get12 or more. We use them for bait.
If you have a fish tank bring one home and drop it in, bring 2 if you want. We've found that they can only eat unhealthy fish and it does wonders to keeping your tank healthy. Unless you get a super hunter..... then when you wake up you'll have 90% of your fish half eaten and one fat crayfish. Wait a couple days and you will think your crayfish died..... he just got too big for his skin and shed, hermit crabs are the same. Never eaten them, how big do they have to be and does anyone have a good recipe?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like them at a minimum of 3 inches tip of head to the end of the tail stretched out anything smaller goes back in the lake or becomes bait. that night we caught them some of them were 6 inches +. asfar as cookin them ill get a good crab boil going in a deep stew pot about the size you'd use for lobsters I get 2 gallons of water going to a good boil add some crab boil concentrate and 2 tbl spoons of salt and a tbl spoon of crushed black pepper and throw in 6 to 8 Jalapeno peppers for a little zing. then I toss about 2 to 3 dozen crawfish at a time and let them boil for about 15 minutes or till they bright red in color and floating. its kinda like cooking shrimp just takes a tad longer. get ya cup of melted butter and cup of jalapeno hotsauce for dippin and you are ready to eat.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Here at our newest jail in Tampa,Fl where I retired from, there are 4 huge retention ponds that produce 1,000's of Craw Daddy's. There is a time of the year when they all come crawling outunto the parking lots. We could pick up 2 or 3 5gal buckets full of them in 30 mins.

We would combine all the Craw Daddy's picked up by everyone, add Cajun Seasoning to the boilng water and we would all have feast!
Old 07-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way I have found to catch big cats in a lake is with 6 inch creek chubs( Big Minnows ) Place a split shot on your line, about 14 inches above the creek chub, and leave your reel on free spool, after reeling up your slack after the cast. When a cat picks it up, your line will start running off of the reel. Click the bell, and when your line gets tight set the hook.

I catch many nice flat heads that way every year.

Quick Reply: Went catfishing and caught nothing but crawfish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.