Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Is this a Walleye?

Old 06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this a Walleye?

Was fishing the river that runs through the city tonight, trying to catch a smallmouth for the tournament on here, and ended up catching what i think is a walleye. That may not sound like a big deal, but to my knowledge, this river isnt supposed to have walleye in it. I have never seen or heard of one being caught out of there. It's not very big, was just over 16 inches and 1.4 pounds. I took a pic, i guess this could be a sauger or saugeye, i dont know the difference. This isnt a fish i see around here and have never caught one before.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is this a Walleye?

go to google and look at the images of walleyes and saugers, caught plent of saugers here (jacks) but i have only caught a few eyes my whole life, post the pic if you can
Old 06-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

go to google and look at the images of walleyes and saugers, caught plent of saugers here (jacks) but i have only caught a few eyes my whole life, post the pic if you can
I posted the pic above, or else i tried to. It's showing up on mine, hopefully its working for others. I went and looked at google and still cant get an answer, i see similarities in all of them. The one thing i did notice is the little white spot on the corner of the tail of my fish, according to the net, that is a characteristic of a walleye and saugeye, sauger do not have them.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbuckOO

Was fishing the river that runs through the city tonight, trying to catch a smallmouth for the tournament on here, and ended up catching what i think is a walleye. That may not sound like a big deal, but to my knowledge, this river isnt supposed to have walleye in it. I have never seen or heard of one being caught out of there. It's not very big, was just over 16 inches and 1.4 pounds. I took a pic, i guess this could be a sauger or saugeye, i dont know the difference. This isnt a fish i see around here and have never caught one before.

Maybe this will help if any to determine what you got there..
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/Fish/pafish/fishhtms/chap23.htm
Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

that would be a walleye, not a very healthy lookin one but also might be the photo.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a Walleye to me.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, my father works with a guy who owns a bait and tackle shop here in town. My dad showed him the pic and he thinks its a walleye too. He took one of the pics to hang on the board in his shop, said it's the first walleye he has seen come from that river in the 30 years he has fished it. Sorry about the picture quality, forgot the digital at home or else i would have gotten a fresh pic right there in the river. He lost some color on the trip home. Indiana has a minimum size limit of 14 inches on walleye, even on some of the better walleye lakes here it can be hard to catch a keeper eye. To catch a legal one out of this body of water is probably the biggest surprise of my fishing life so far.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:35 PM

Here's a pic of a walleye and yours looks alot like its just alot smaller and less color so as HighDesertWolf said it doesnt look to healthy but that maybe because someone could have brought it from a lake or something and it is having a hard time adapting to the water or environment but it sure looks like a walleye to me.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also have to agree it’s a walleye but the color of the fish has lots to do with the condition and the color of the water...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

He said it right at the beginning, it looks like a river walleye. I catch walleye's inthe red river in the winter and the ones that have been there awhile get silvery sides, the green on the back goes emerald in colour. I catch them in lakes w/ high iron levels and they are almost black. Here's a pic of a friend holding a walleye that I caught....... it was -35 and we wanted to release this girl healthy for the spring spawn.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/087264.jpg
this second pic was a fish caught earlier in the ice season and the fish was still pretty dark on the top. Nice warm day and I was alone. Snapped a pic w/rod and lure to show size comparison. this one was 27", my largest was 32.5" and 13.5lbs.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/RedCat_2006/fishing087.jpg

Quick Reply: Is this a Walleye?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.