Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Whats your favorite...

Old 05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Whats your favorite...

...Lure for lake trout/ landlocked salmon/ rainbow trout? And what size weight woulld get it down about 80-100ft for trolling? I just found out about good lakers being taken out of the lakes that i fish on and i would like to catch a few.

thanks for any help.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Whats your favorite...

What type of setup do you have?? Down riggers??? If you have riggers a 8-12 lb ball wii get you down. If you dont have rigers it is alittle harder.

Most bottom bouncing rigs are mad up of a big (Penn) reel with wire line and on a vary stiff/ heavy rod. To get down 80-100 ft you dont need as big of a rig but you would still need some heavy stuff. You may be able to get down that far with a 2.5ozprizim weight???? I have never tried it but it would work.

I think your best bet is a down rigger

As far as lures, spoons (silver streaks, North port Nailers.....), flies tiped with sucker cut bait and run behind cow bells, Peanuts (those little foam things) with a fly and sucker behind it or fished alone. You could also use big leadjigs tiped with sucker, you would have to use some type of low streach line (fire line). To fish the jig I would get a drift sock (plastic pail) and just let the windpush you around. I have fished lakers down 75fy with spinning gear andjigs and done well.

I typed this in a hurry so if you need anythin cleared up just ask.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

thanks, i didnt read this till the day after i went to gander mountain but here is what i bought, 12lb line(i hope its enough, the fish in our lake dont get very big though) some 3/4 ounce sinkers(3, use all of them) a 3in kwikfish??? i forgot what it was called but it was in the clearence bin it was chrome with pink spots,3 way swivels, and a red eye wobbler. This weekend i will probably buy a big jig if i can find one. i dont think i can put a downrigger on my 12ft jon boat, and i dont want to spend the money anyways.

well if i dont catch any lakers, there are still some rainbows and landlocks in the lake so i might get a few of those.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure what your trolling speed is as it can make a big
difference. From what you are saying here you might be better
off drift fishing with some live bait. If your drifting to fast tie
some rope on a bucket and toss it out that will slow it down.
But, if you still wish to troll try using a mooselook wobbler and
a small piece of cut bait on the back of it. Another lure we like
here is a flat fish trolled real slow.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

A good way to get them is to jig just off the bottom with a swedish pimple tipped with a minnow tail or cut bait or use a white maribou jig. Just drift along slow and keep working the jig just off the bottom.