Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Rod and reel suggestions

Old 05-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rod and reel suggestions

I have to be honest I haven't done much fishing in the past 12 years or so. For some reason this past month I've been hitting every hole I can find and having a blast. I've been using a wal-mart special rod and reel combo. But I'm not too happy with it. Any suggestions. A lot of things have changed in the past 12 years.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rod and reel suggestions

What type of fish are ya fishing for ? I checked out some rod and reels this morning about 5:00 AM beforeI went to work. Wally seems to change reel models alot down here. I'm really happy with the ABU 103 model reel on a nice 6 1/2 foot medium Lightening Rod . Both can be purchased together at Walmart for about 60.00 dollars .I also like the Ugly Sticks.I use 10 pound triline on it and have been very happy. That set up is good for about everything BUT flipping. The line will twist up real bad when flipping for bass. But everything else should serve you well. The reel cast a mile and is solid and smooth. So far the drag stays put where you set it. I wsa going ot buy another one this morning but they were sold out. The C101 is also nice but for smaller pan fish. I have one of those as well. Tha tmodel is awesome for bluegills. LONG cast and high ratio retrieve.
C7
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
G5

not knowing how much money you want to spend i will sugest some of the better midline stuff.

the st. croix triumph series rods are great. the med/heavy fast action is a great all around stick.Fenwick and Falcon are also great but will cost alittle more. if you look hard rapala even makes a couple poles for $40 or $50 that are worth having. And if you think you got alot of money to spend buy a GLoomis.

For reals i would say shimanno symetry, abu cardinal,pfleuger trion or president are the best spinning reels for the money. if your looking at baitcasting reels than i would say Pflueger makesa great midline reel for about $60 andanything else your gonna have to pay more. shimanno line makes awesome gear but its pricey.

If your really wanting to upgrade i would say to concentrate on the rod you buy. I think having a nice pole can make all the difference in the world and any reel will bring in a fish. So if your gonna go cheap somewhere go cheap on the reel not the pole. Some people say different and that you have to have a nice reel to catch fish. but i think if that where true zebco would be out of buisness by now.

anyway i hope this helped a little, a little trick for buying a rod, bring someone with you and hold the rod tip to their throat and have them talk quitely if you can feel them talking your gonna like the pole, when you do this you will be amazed at the price tag on some poles that this wont work with.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the advice fellas.