Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Tell us your best story of the one that got away.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tell us your best story of the one that got away.

my worst/best big fish, i was fishing on pre-fishing on sam rayburn for an upcomming tournament, i was fishing with a friend who is also a guide on fork, him and his brother have caught numerous 10#'ers, well were fishing a deep water hump 17'-20' feet droppin off into 35-40' and we were catching great tournamnet size fish 3-5 #'s all of a sudden i hook into what felt like a floater, a sunken log, but then it moved, not quick just moving, i'm thinking carp, drum, cat, but it didn't ever really do the things i expected, then 35-40' out the biggest hole in the water showed up, the fish had never fought up till now, now she decides its time to head to the deep water runs beneath the boat, rod bending drag slipping and "POW", line breaks, 20 lbs test, i look at my buddy and say, well there was my shot at a 10 plus, and he just replied " keith, that fish was 12-14#'s if it was an ounce" that moment has been the source of many dreams both good and bad, i am still on a quest for a doulble digit fish even though i have caught 3 over 9#'s[:@], it will happen though
Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Keith..Sounds like you've got the hook ups.
C7
Old 05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have been blessed
Old 05-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i was in my local lake and we were burnin them up caught about 30 that day so far and i throw out my secret crankbat and wham big fish and i know it well he is comin a t the boat then he turns and jumps i know hes 8 plus now and he gets to the boat and hits the motor and..... gone same thing happened a week later in the same spot on a spinnerbait but didnt get him as close to the boat

I have also seen a 11 in bass get scaled by a huge bass in this lake HUGEEE i tell you and watched 3 11lbders deat bream as soon as you bring tem up
Old 05-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Dominant Buck

And yet another Rooster Tail story,

I had been catching 1 to 1 1/2 pounders all morning when I decided to give it up. I happened to be doing shore fishing when I stopped and ask this black lady if she was catching anything. I told her about my Rooster Tail and she looked at me like I was fibbing. She was using red worms on a cane pole fishing for anything that would bite. I was talking and casting long into a hole about 14 foot deep. I'd get the blade turning and stand sideways { my left shoulder to the target } while I was making conversation. On about my second cast while my mind was on the older black lady and giving her eye contact ...a huge fish grabbed my lure pulling me about 3 foot forward into the lake...breaking the line. I think now folks might understand why I always keep one rod with a Rooster Tail.
Lesson to be learned....When ya talk to others while fishing ,keep your eyes on your target , not people. It felt like a really nice fish.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never lost a fish. I've done a few long distance releases, but I've never lost a fish unintentionally. [8D]
Old 05-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Dominant Buck

What about that 15 pounder you said you lost earlier this year???
C7

Old 05-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

oo cuck thats so wrong lol he was jsut makin sure the fish wasnt stressed out when it got to the boat
Old 05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

In the early 80's I ran a Lake Trout and Salmon charter on Lake Champlain. I had an old Uncle who really liked to fish and I took him out on an off day without clients. He always liked to catch salmon and didn't care for the downrigger and heavy tackle as a way to get them. I rigged up the boat with all my best UL stream tackle and we started to troll. He was using my best rod which was a yellow Eagle Claw Ultra Lite 6 foot rod equipped with a Mitchel 308 reel. (It was 25 years ago when the equipment wasn't that good). An 8 pound landlocked Salmon grabbed his lure and took off jumping and stripping out the line. Before he could get to the back of the boat to grab the rod it popped out of the holder and for the next 30 minutes we could see a leaping Salmon towing a rod all over the bay. I figured we could catch the line with another rod but we didn't luck out. He felt bad and I told him it didn't matter but I knew my favorite rod was gone for good. The years have passed and so has he. I loved that old guy and would gladly give any rod if I could just fish one more day with him.

Quick Reply: Tell us your best story of the one that got away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.