Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Whats ur bigest smallie?

Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats ur bigest smallie?

7-1/2 pounds, caught about 10 years ago on wheeler lake in 2nd creek. I was fishing a texas rigged black/firetail worm with 3/16 ounce sinker. I had worked the worm from the bank down into 20 feet of water and I bounced the worm off the bottom 1 time straight under me and the worm didn't go back down so I set the hook, never felt the hit. I had a heck of fight with that fish but we finally got him in the boat.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: take-em

Champlain Islander what lake do you fish on
I live on the island of North Hero in Vermont on Lake Champlain.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingbuddy419

whats a smallmouth? jk I have never caught a smallie before, dont go bass fishing much, I plan on going more this summer maybe I will catch some
A couple of pictures from last summer with the standard size I usually catch every time out. Both fish were 18-19" and close to 4 pounds.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

The second picture.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

never fished a lake for smallmouth.....what is the technique that you guys use on lakes?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

This time of year until the spawn I get a lot of them fishing with a white 3 or 4"twister tail on a 1/8 oz chatreuse jig head near shore. I use an UL 6' pole with 4 or 6 pound test and it is a blast. I usually go along the shore with my boat and toss the jig right up near the rocks and pull it back. I alternate between a steady retrieve and a jerk retrieve to see how they want it. When they are spawning I use a tube rigged texas style and drop it near or on the nest and shake it. If they are staging just before or just after the spawn I use a jerk bait, spinner bait or top water presentation if the conditions are right. Post spawn they are usually in deeper water and I drop shot, or carolina rig with tubes or rubber worms for a good biteon larger fish. If you fish the shallows along shore in summer you usually only get smaller fish.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:44 PM

The only smallie fishing we do is in Canada and we use spinnerbaits crankbaits and we also vertical jig with a jighead and a minnow. For poles we use medim 6 to 7 foot poles and 20 lb fireline.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 PM

I catch a few 3-4lb smallies a year and have caught one that I am sure went 5lbs, but I didnt have a scale . I dont fish bass all that much so when I do get into some I am ushaly riged up for blue gills or pearch and I tend to brake off alot of the bigger fish.

Maybe I can up that number in July, that is when I plane to show all you bass guys how it is done.Lets just say I have an Ace up my sleeve [:-], and no its not a fish pond.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

do all you guys fish lakes, or are there some others out there that fish stream like i do too?

Quick Reply: Whats ur bigest smallie?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.