Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Lucky Lucky Day...

Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lucky Lucky Day...

I went fishing yesterday in my boat. Had a good day of fishing. Only caught one trout, but it was a nice laker weighing in at 10 lbs. However, when I say I was lucky; it was on the way back.

I was in my boat, doing about 33 mph which is top speed for my 16ft 60 hp outboard. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a glove that I was wearing drop on the floor. I bent down to pick it up so that it wouldn't fly out of the boat and somehow let go of the steering wheel.

In just a split second, my boat was sent into a tail spin. Well, suffice it to say, I was given the opportunity to sample what it was like in 49 degree water. Obviously, since I am writing this now, you realize how lucky I am. However, after further reflection, my luck was really incredible:

1. I didn't hit my head on my way out of the boat, since I wasn't wearing a life jacket.
2. Since I wasn't wearing a life jacket; I was able to swim underwater to a safe distance from the propeller since I didn't clip the kill switch.
3. There was someone within 500 yards that showed up within a few minutes to help me out of the water.
4. My friend, who also sold me the boat was there in his boat to help try to fetch my spinning boat.

The story ends without much event; thank god. I lost my propeller as it grounded itself into some gravel on a nearby island (which was predominately covered by cliff). The will be other problems with the engine; but no damage to the hull of the boat and no damage to the foot of the motor nor the trolling plate.

I think the only injury I incurred was a bruised rib as I was being pulled out of the water.

Things I've learned:

1. When going with speed, wear a life jacket and kill switch.
2. Before putting the boat into full speed, make sure you double check to assure there are no objects that can fly out of the boat.
3. Stop the boat if something looks out of order.

These things are so basic and taught at every boat safety course, but I just didn't take them seriously. Well, no more and my objective in posting this message is really to give you a real life experience why these kinds of things are important. I'm just happy I'm able to give it.

Cheers,
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lucky Lucky Day...

thank God you are alright....that could have been bad!!

nice fish too
Old 05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya your defintaly lucky
Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky