Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 AM

Default WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

This isn't a bash on anyone, but I'm reading about how so many guys have tried so many different lines. I fully understand that the cost of line compared to your rod+reel setup is usually negligable...and then if you add you lures and all other accesories...and heaven-forbid we talk about boats.

But has anybody who's been in this game for awhile found that its just not worth the hassle and uses plain-jane el cheopo white mono? This has been my approach just because I didn't want to mess with finding the 'right' one. 12lb for my bass rod. 4lb for my UL. 20lb for my catrod (pond cats) and 50lb for my snaggin' rod. Buy the biggest spool I can find and keep things simple. Is it truley worth the hassle to start trying all this other stuff or is it something we do "because we can" and because we're always looking for that little extra advantage?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 AM

Default RE: WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

I get were you are coming from, I only use Maxima on my spinning rods (the green stuff). 4lb for inland lakes and 6 or 8lb for the big water. Line is just like everything else, if they make it it will sell.

I do like some of the other lines that are out there for diffirent reasons. Fire Line is greatif ya need a none stretch line, I use it on the Big Lake rods and also works great for vertical jiging. Spider Line "Braded" castsgreat, so is a good choice when fishing from shore and have to realy get out there.

As far as mono goes I think there is alot of junk out there, that is why I use Maxima, it is some of the strongest mono you can getand is still vary castable.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once you fish with a no-stretch like Fireline or PowerPro, it's hard to go back. That sensitivity is awesome. I used to be a cheap line guy as well, but then I used Fireline witha friend of mine, and haven't looked back!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use ony of the fancey line for my bass rod, but on my ultralight for trout i use SOS line. I want to try some other stuff on my smallmouth pole, but when it comes to my bass pole....its just like you
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya I am one of those idoits that have to have a different line for everything
Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Tellya what ..Walmart sold Vanish for a dollare a spool so I bought a bunch. I usually buy it on sale. I do like quality line though.I hate break off fish stories.
Chuck
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

like i ahve said before....i really want to try power pro, but man its so much money......
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to use white mono, but I have switched most of mine to green mono. But I still use mono (Berkley Trilene). I've tried Fireline and Spiderwire, but I haven't been all that impressed. I generally backlash at least a couple of times a trip, and I can get rid of a crow's nest if I've got mono. Backlashing with braided lines = cutting and starting over.[:@]

I'm trying Vanish right now, and the verdict is still out. I haven't been impressed with the knot strength so far, and that's with aTrilene knot.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM

Soil IMHO there are many places that a man can "cut corners" and save a buck here and there with regards too fishing equipment. BUT cutting corners with the only link you physically have with a fish (your line) is NOT one of them!!!

With that being said, I am a tournament fisherman so it doesn't bother me to fish only one day with new line and then discard it and respool before the next trip. Think of it as $10 worth of line possibly costing you several hundred too over $1K if your line fails and you loose fish during a tournament.

After years and years of trying practically every new line out there at some point and time I have continually come back too the good ol clear/blue Stren. Not because it is the best in any one area but because it was "acceptable" in more situations than anything else. Primarily I can NOT stand nor accept line memory (the "coiling" of the line while at rest or while not under tension). Memory simply kills sensitivity and hook setting abilities. Lines like Trilene XT and Berkely Big Game are TOUGH lines but their memory is a killer. Trilene XL is a little better but still not as soft as plain Stren. Most of the "cheap" off brand lines were about as limp as coat hanger rod!

But ever the tinkerer I decided to give some Suffix a try and so far it performs as good as Stren. I primarily use 10-14# line on most of my rigs. 10 for crankbaits and jerkbaits, 12 for most other baits except spinnerbaits and 14 on my spinnerbait rods.

As for flipping, worming and jigging I EXCLUSIVELY use 30/8 (30#test 8# diameter) PowerPro. I have been fishing braid since it came out in the early 90s and LOVE IT for "bottom bumpers". For along time I used Spiderwire and just grinned and beared it at the cash register [:@]. But the PowerPro is quite a bit cheaper and for most recreational fishermen you can actually use it for more than one season. It wont breakdown from UV light nor does it ever get memory. As long as it isn't being abused by abrasion, the stuff is nearly ever lasting. I still replace mine annually, but that's just me. I also have used P-Line's braid and it peformed just like the PowerPro. Spectra fiber is Spectra fiber so it all should perform similarly.

Good luck and SET DA DAYUM HOOK!
RA
Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Soil IMHO there are many places that a man can "cut corners" and save a buck here and there with regards too fishing equipment. BUT cutting corners with the only link you physically have with a fish (your line) is NOT one of them!!! I totally agree Red.

I have a lot of excuses this year but being broken off is not one of them. It was in 2005 but not in 2006..I flip exclusively with 20 pound Super Braid Stren about 6ld diameter. I love it. I've pulled out limbs with fish attached.Fact the 3 pounder i just posted in the Fish pictures was that fish. I had tossed a worm way up in the sticks. I go cheaper on rods. I'm very content with Lightening Rods..Love them .
Chuck7

Quick Reply: WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.