Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

I use Berkeley Trilene only , and in a weight that I know the fish can't break , usually 10# . This is spooled onto an ordinary Abu Garcia Bronco spinning rig I bought years ago , and I feel no need to change either . I catch all species local to my waters with this rig . When I experiment it's with lures and baits , not the rig that's served me so well .
Old 05-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Now fishing for panfish I do take risk. I fish for them for the fight and sometimes use ultralight 4 pound or 6. I love catching slab bluegills on utra light or light tackle.But Bass no way. I need tough line because i fish in the soup and salad when fishing for those predators.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Berkley Trilene for me... I am not going to skimp on line, theres too much at stake. Who wants to wave bye-bye to a wall hanger?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW Rev...Same line I like for nearly all of my reels. Berkley Trilene. I only use Braided when in heavy cover or flipping in brush. Berkley has been tried and true and affordable .
C7
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

WOW Rev...Same line I like for nearly all of my reels. Berkley Trilene. I only use Braided when in heavy cover or flipping in brush. Berkley has been tried and true and affordable .
C7

I agree.. I don't understand people spending good money on rods, reels and boats and trying to skimp on line..I really like Maxima line too. Just like bowhunting, why buy cheap arrows?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use berkely trilene.....good stuff

there are alot of good types of line out there though that doesnt cost all the much money
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Arrows....TErminator carbons 31"

Broadheads..Steelforce. 30.00 for 3
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use 6lb trilene xt lo vis green for everything from bluegail and trout to bass and catfish. I just set my drag and go fishing. Hasn't cost me a fish yet.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm only using 2 brands of line this year. Power pro on my carolina rig rod. Yo Zuri Hybrid on everything else. 12 lbs is my go to weight for everything, 20 lb for my flipping rod.

Hybrid is basically everything I've ever wanted in a fishing line. no memory, abrasion resistance, great casting, low visability, good price. Its about $10 - $12 for 600 yards.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

This isn't a bash on anyone, but I'm reading about how so many guys have tried so many different lines. I fully understand that the cost of line compared to your rod+reel setup is usually negligable...and then if you add you lures and all other accesories...and heaven-forbid we talk about boats.

But has anybody who's been in this game for awhile found that its just not worth the hassle and uses plain-jane el cheopo white mono? This has been my approach just because I didn't want to mess with finding the 'right' one. 12lb for my bass rod. 4lb for my UL. 20lb for my catrod (pond cats) and 50lb for my snaggin' rod. Buy the biggest spool I can find and keep things simple. Is it truley worth the hassle to start trying all this other stuff or is it something we do "because we can" and because we're always looking for that little extra advantage?

Please define plain jane el cheapo white mono??? do you mean like berkley XL or XT mono or maybe the purple box original stren mono?? or are you talking about that el cheapo made in taiwan eagle claw 1000 yards for 2 bucks stuff at walmart??? I use mainly berkley mono line and I also like the fire line. But I wouldnt use that real cheapy stuff, you pretty much get what you pay for. when i was kid I did use the real cheapy stuff but the more I got into fishing I started to realize that cheapy stuff has high memory gets line twist easily and has absolutely no abrasion resistance and not to mention howmuch it stretches compared to higher quality lines.

Quick Reply: WOW...does anyone keep it simple?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.