Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

arctic char fishing

Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Default arctic char fishing

Hey all I just had an outfitter contact me wanting to book some arctic CHAR fishing trips? What isCHAR???? Never have heard of the fish! All we have here in Ga is bass, crappie, catfish, and brim. Would some one tell me a little about this fish so if a client wants to book I will know a little about the animal!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: arctic char fishing

Mathew,
A char is a close relative of salmon, and they look alot like salmon. They are fun to catch, and excellent to eat. The hard part is getting to where they live: way up in the arctic! I bet the outfitter who contacted you charges around $5000 for a fishing trip. Not something that most of us can do every weekend.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 PM

tomsbass, thanks for the info. Your are right about the prices-start at around $6300, I think ill try fishing for them once I will the ga lottery!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Spike

Let me know when you do. If my rich uncle dies and leaves me a batch, I'll go with you!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM

I fished for some char in Alaska a few years back. Basically like a salmon, andput up a nice fight.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Lake trout, Brook trout, Bull trout, Dolly Vaden, and Arctic Char are all members of the char family. Dollies and Arctic Char are very similar and are usually only distinguishable by where they live. Arctic Char generally only live in lakes. They can get downright huge, fight well, and taste great.

AK Jeff
Old 12-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Lake trout, Brook trout, Bull trout, Dolly Vaden, and Arctic Char are all members of the char family. Dollies and Arctic Char are very similar and are usually only distinguishable by where they live. Arctic Char generally only live in lakes. They can get downright huge, fight well, and taste great.
Exactly. I have char in the lake 5 minutes from my door (its in my township) and now Iam gonna go catch me on today through the ice. Thanks ... They do taste real good and fight like a bugger.