Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly fishing Question???

Old 08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fly fishing Question???

I'm planning on getting my first fly rod. I won't be fishing saltwater. It will be mostly for small streams but al little for ponds and some bigger rivers.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=39110&parentCategor y=8091&cat4=2136&storeId=1&catalogId=1 &langId=-1&feat=ssdpa2136i'm going to get one of thoes rods. I'm not sure what i should get. Most of my fishing will be for trout. I think the 7 foot rodmight not be long enough for cast in lakes soI was looking at the 8 or 8'6". Would that be too long for a small stream?Now i'm not sure what weightI want. 75% of my fishing will be for trout from 6 to 18 inches. ButI would would also like to fish for some bass. Nothing big, like mabey 3 lbs at the biggest. what would you guys seggust for a weight. I'm thinking 5 but mabey 6.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Default RE: Fly fishing Question???

Looks like you have a good idea, I would say a 8.5ft 5 wt. I use my 8.5 5wt for small trout (and a big one every now and then), and have caught some big bass on it. Will work great on small rivers or big lakes.As for LLbean rods never used one, look in cabelas, they have a great selection. $69 is not much for a fly rod and let me tell ya, ya get what ya pay for. If you think you may get into fly fishing start your self out right with some good equipment, I am not saying spend 500 on a rod but get one that you will be happy with once you start to get good at fly fishing. ST Croix makes a good rod, and so dose Sage, you can get one for around $200, ya its alot of money, but they are worth it.

Good luck,
Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your going to be in small streams.. id say thats tight quarters...id go withthe shorter one the 98 dollar one looks good also good luck
Old 08-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

Hi redsox,

I would opt for a 9' 5wt rod with a floating line and decent reel. I started flyfishing about 10 years ago when I paid $ 100 for a combo 5wt sage rod/reel/line combo. Believe it or not, I still use that rod today. In fact I've been using it this summer fishing smallmouth on the lake I live on and brought it to Newfoundland and landed a 36" salmon last July. Until you think about making the trek to Pulaski, NY for some "duck and chuck" action on the Salmon river, this should be plenty for you.

My brother, who has been fishing a couple years more than me, went the LL Bean route. He kept the rod for about 2 years and realized it wasn't quite enough for him. If you get into the sport, it may happen to you as well.

Not sure what your prices are, but it might be worth it looking into a good sage combo. I would recommend it... here is a url for an online vendor example of what I'm talking about http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/...htm?pid=439046

Good luck and good fishing.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I like the Orvis rods because they have a 25 year guarantee and you can get them at a reduced price at some of their outlets. You do get what you pay for and $$$ spent up front will put you far ahead in the game. I like a 9' 5 wt for most of my fishing for freshwater steelhead. On the trips to Polaski NY I bring a 9' 8 wt. If the streams are really small a shorter rod will be best but overall you won't get the casting performance that you need on a larger body of water. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Orvis rods because they have a 25 year guarantee and you can get them at a reduced price at some of their outlets.

thanks for the tip
Old 08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I can get the beans pole a a reduced price b/c I work walking distance from the outlet and the fastory store. orvis may have a 25 year warante but L.L. Bean has a lifetime, 100% satasfaction garantee no questions asked.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Redsox,

That's the same warranty Sage offers as well. Orvis are very good rods as well. I was surprised to here from the others they only offer a 25 year warranty. I thought the norm was lifetime no questions regardless of cause, etc...

Most likely, LL Bean doesn't make these rods. They probably get some other vendor to make 10,000 of them and get enough economies of scale to offer prices like these. Regardless of which way you go, try it out and make sure it feels good to you before you buy. If it does, it's the right rod.

Good luck,

Dan
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 PM

As for the warente on these rods, most rod makers a switching to a limited warinte, including SAGE. If you brake a sage you pay somthing like $40 to get it fixed. In my opinion Orvis has the best warente, lastI herd it was life time. 3 of my fishing buddies use orvis and love them.As I said I have a sage 8.5 ft Slt this rod is like$550, I got it for 200, pro form. My bro uses Gloomis and loves them, but he to droped around 500 for his rods.

Iwouldnt recomend a LL bean, you can get agood combo out of cabelas forabout$60more, they have a 25 year warinte. I use a Cabelas pt for steelhead and salmon and love it, real tuff rod.

Just my2 cents, get the bean if ya would like and then tell me how much you like it.

Good luck and hope ya find what you are looking for.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Not to beat a dead horse, well I guess yes to beat a dead horse; here is Sage's warranty policy.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/how_can_w...warranty.shtml

The $ 30 is to cover shipping costs, not to cover repair costs.

I agree that Cabelas would also be an excellent source to look at.

Cheers,

Dan