Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Hammering the walleyes on lake erie

Old 07-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hammering the walleyes on lake erie

Folks you have to get out on the lake the bite is on hard, 55-70ft 6 colors lead core off the plainers 200ft back on perch , purple , copper, bronze, stick baits and harnesses. Limited out yesterday with 8 fish weighing 65lbs. 1 at 11.98, 1 at 10.50 , 2 at 10.10 or close and the others were around 5-6 lbs. Hell of a day. Now the time to go out.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hammering the walleyes on lake erie

Sounds like it's time to get out the BIG skillets. Man I'm jealous!

Unc
Old 07-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously you're not on the same side of Erie that I am...LOL

Our limit is less, and I'd have to drive east a while to find 70ft of water.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Guy I work with heads up to Lake Erie every weekend. He gets into some yearly fishing tourney that takes biggest walley for all summer monthes. Not sure where, how, or who holds the derby but he's won it for last 5 years.

He gets 10 pounders every weekend and usually gets a 12 to 13 pounder every third weekend. Always limits out.

The walleye fishing on the Susquehana has been uncommonly good for me this year. Actually have caught more wallfish than anything else this summer. Followed by Northerns. got myself a nice 33 incher this weekend. Pretty decent for right in town just south of Binghamton. Managed to get a couple of 24 26 inch walleyes this year. Very decent sized for the river ..... I know there are bigger.

Had a couple real big predator fish on this year too. No luck tho, went deep, went hard ........ snapped 18 LB with leaderslike nothing.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

whats a predator fish
Old 07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are still catching good Walleye's casting shadraps into 3-5 feet of water in Devils lake ND. Seldom have to go more than 12 feet. My favorite eaters are those 18 inch fish. The rest usually go back. Sounds like fun though.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:03 PM

The guy I work with is still nail'en them up on the lake, he always does good though.

Sorry, Predator fish, my term there for big fat honking long boney fish with teeth.

Muski, Tiger Muski, Nothern Pike.

Granted much easier to fish for up at the saint lawrence or some the lakesbut heck, I can grab my poles, hook up my boat, and be on water in 10 minutes. I'd rather spend more time fishing and not catching anything than traveling and not fishing.

The stateactually close a section of the susqie river right here for the walliesto spawn, that helps all species.

There are a lot of people that have no idea how big some fish are right here in central southern tier. Right behind enjoy golf coarse in endicottis a really big deep spot that can produce some big fish. Boat launch right there too that can still be used carefully when it gets low like it is now. Pulled a 6 to 7 pound smallmouth outta there and plenty of northerns and wallies. Not so great an area if you don't know the habitats tho and this springs flood changed the sand mud barsa lot and exposed some new rocks and buried some old rocks. theres a lot of little spots that if you didn't know to cast there you would go right on by but cast four orfivetimes into the nook and whamo, fish on every time you pass.

I know that section of river from johnson city to owego from 25 years of fishing it better than my favorite set of bar stools.

Me and my fishing buddy have hooked into some 60 plus inch fish 30 plus pounds right here in town on the susquehana. There isn't a lot in concentration of big fish and they are very very teritorial. Once you find one it's just a matter of beat the water till you finally hit his appetite button. All we fish for is big predatory fish and sometimes we find the wallies.

When you hook into a smallmouth on a 6 inch mepp's muski killer spinner, you know your in for a good time and it's definitely a keeper.

My buddy hookeda big(assumed muskie)using just a little medium minnow right next to shore from shore, he managed to pull the fish to surface before it broke the line. It seriously had to be pushing 50 pounds and pushing 70 inches. I still have trouble believing it andI even saw it happen. It had solid verticle stripes like a zebra top to bottom and each stripe was atleast 1 inch thick if not 1.5 inches thick. Quick little shimmy and flick of the 12 inch wide tail and it was gone. we saw about 12 inches tall of the side of the fish for about the last 3 feet and never saw the white belly as it rolled. I named him aquagator. To my knowledge no such fish that size has ever been caught around here. Ever.

We were wadinganothertime near there about 20 feet from each other and had a 48 inch northern swim right between us waste deep at the surface. Gulping algee at surface real slow moving. it had half inch teeth and bigger than quarter sized eyes. Awesom to see that swimming along in the same water as you waist deep. Water was crystal clear that day too.

we've never landed any of the big big ones, just bad luck right timing. Some we've never even seen other than nessy pulling at the other end of line. biggest landed by us has been a northern about 39 inches.

28 to about 36 is the norm both species and when you find one that size you usually find another. the big ones hide.

we are not 100% sure but think we might have seen something hit some ducklings this year and they were not new ones just hatched. there was this hugh splash right where they were and they all went right up onto shore and the mother just sat there quacking and quacking like she was looking for something.

I need me a duckling lure for trolling.

gotta luv that river, panfish, large and smallmouth bass, perch coming back, walleyes, northerns, muskies, tiger muskies, 20 pound cats, 3 foot carp. It's just good dang fun fishing.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

So drop me an e-mail next time.I live in Vestal.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Sorry Charlie , boat aint big enough for you, me, and our mixed opinions in same boat. You don't agree with whatI have to say or my opinions so why would I even wanna go fish with ya. you're prolly just sore cuz of that one post I criticized you of being over critical of anyone elses opinion but yours.

thanks for that real crappy dumb mail ya sent me too. Funny to think you might have actually met me.

I'm on that river all summer monthes long. fortunately my work hours allow me to be there mornings and or evenings. Boat or shore,I don't care

Watch out for the snakes over on vestal side, seen some funky striped snakes this year with big old wide heads. Definitely poisonous
Old 08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Will proably still meet someday it's a small world.

Watch out for the snakes over on vestal side, seen some funky striped snakes this year with big old wide heads. Definitely poisonous
Don't worry I hear mountain lions eat them.

If you take what is said on the internet seriously I feel sorry for you. That's what problem with this form of communication you don't look someone in the eye.

You cut me down on the public forum. I wrote you a PM. Who really cares.

Quick Reply: Hammering the walleyes on lake erie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.