Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

god awful terrible weekend of fishing

Old 06-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Default god awful terrible weekend of fishing

headed up to our cabin on the Holcombe Flowage, WI this weekend to try some fishing and a little relaxing. Fished harded friday nite, and then all day saturday. Fished some great locations friday nite, couldnt get a bite. All day saturday,i fished perfect water. Current, cover, cooler water, out of the way spots, shallow cover, deep cover, you name, we fished it. With everything too. all for 2 strikes. One probably 40" muskie rolled my spinnerbait and i caught a 12" or so muskie.the smallmouth fishing up there wasn't supposed to be good yet, but i was hoping for at least 1 or 2, and maybe a largemouth. some guys said they caught 2 smaller bronzebacks but that was it for 6 hours of fishing. guess i shoulda been doing something a tad more productive, like knitting. I do think however i got some good spots scouted out for later in the summer, maybe towards july and august.

slayer
Old 06-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Default RE: god awful terrible weekend of fishing

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i caught a hole alot of nothingmy self
Old 06-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

It ain't about the catchin' son , it's the about fishin' .
I've been up to my chest in a local river for 5 hours before , runnin' and gunnin' up and down both banks with nary a bite and had a ball . My wife just doesn't understand that at all , if they aren't biting in 5 minutes she's ready to leave . [&o]
Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 PM

i also trashed a prop.I have no clue what i hit, and the extent of the damage was massive. Bent one wing, tore another completely off. I havent figured out how you can mess up one that bad without knowing. i figured something was wrong when i was running full bore at 6200 RPM's, instead of 5800 like it should be. that'd be probably my 5th prop in the last year or so. I gotta talk my dad into slapping a stainless prop on there. I dunno how to be more careful. When im in shallow water, i trim the motor up high or i just throw in the trolling motor.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer,
If you've been thru 5 props in a yr the LAST thing you want is a SS prop - Yipes.
SS props don't flex,rarely bend much on impact and almost never break. I've seen them look like prezels along with the entire lower unit. When impacted they simply pass off the energy to the gear set - rip gears and case apart - literally! Ugly and expensive!! If your goin thru that many props, are you gettin yours reconned or at least buyin recons and carring spare in boat?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM

yeah, i end up paying for the recon most times, and i have a spare in the boat at all times. as much as i try to be careful, its tough. i guess im just going to use my trolling motor alot more.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 PM

5 props in a year? I agree with AJ52, don't go with a SS prop. I used aluminum most of the time. And in the spring when the river flooded, I would switch to the composite props. If you hit something the blade breaks with little force, saving the lower unit. I had a SS prop, but only used it on clean, big lakes. Good luck
Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep - on a big clean lake with little or no hazards floatin or submerged SS will give you better hole shots and a little better top end. I talked my son out of puttin a SS on his outdrive coupled to a 454 C.I. One of the rare times he's listened to his Dad[>:]
Old 07-04-2005, 08:12 PM

i've had one of those days. except i lost 4 lures that day too. all were my best lures. good times will roll in soon.

Zach