Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bass Catching Suggestions

Old 06-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bass Catching Suggestions

this weekend we're goin camping by a lake. this lake is usually really clear. last time we were there the deepest it got was only like 8 ft. but we know there are some big largemouth bass in there, my question is what would you suggest we should try to try and get them big ones hooked?

thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Bass Catching Suggestions

well being thats it's clear water i would suggest a spinner lure...and what i have found is the BEST spinner is a Strike King bleeding spinning lure...it had a red hook which in the water looks like a bleeding bait...also i don't by big ones....i have found with a smaller one(not to small) i catch more bass..now most bigger bass with the exception of some don't chase after spinners..but if you move it slow enough they will...also a crankbait or jerk bait could work really well too...but once again i always try to buy lures with red hooks ...if nothing is biting off the faster lure...try a jig or a senko
Old 06-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Oneshot is right on the money. Spinners work well in that kind of water, or almost anywhere on a bright sunny day, but I dont normally use them. My brothers and I catch tons of bass day in and day out, and we hardly ever switch from dark colored yamamoto senko worms, and curly tails. You are basically guaranteed to catch fish by jigging those or by running the curly tail slowly through the water. If they are boiling on top of the water, a fred arbogast hula-popper cant be beat. Thats basically all we carry, and we outfish almost anyone most everyday.

As you fish more and more for bass, you realize that there really is no need for a tackle box full of stuff. The more simple you keep it,the better...

Good luck---Matt

Old 06-26-2005, 04:36 PM

I was just fishing this weekend and i found that a bobber and a worm is a deadly combo (caught a 20" largemouth on that). otherwise i found that a diving lure that looks like a minnow works well.

good luck
Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

White salted tube jig. Use proper jighead. Find the holes in weed beds and drop the tube down and let it fall to the bottom. Most times they'll hit on the way down or when it lands on bottom. Vertical jumps not horizontal reeling in. Better to reel it in and drop it in the next spot if you don't get action. A classic smallmouth rock bottom tactic but works well with buckets as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If spinners and cranks don't produce you might try plastic in Salamander,Lizard or Crawdad in pumpkin seed or similar color pattern. I stick glass rattle in these with good luck on large mouth and used for smally some years ago on a Arkansas fishing trip.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Whitecloud,
Sounds like a place I fished in Virginia. I did well using 3/8 ounce straight shank Rooster Tails. Fact the 3 lb bass in my signature was caught on one. The hooks are small though and a tight line is a must with the rod bent over.Better have a net too. Great lure ..lousy hooks.
Chuck
Old 06-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok....that sucked!! seriously we tried just about everything in our tackleboxes and the whole weekend we probably only caught about 10 fish, not even keeper size. it was still a fun weekend though. hopefully next time we go we'll get something. but earlier this year one of my uncles caught a 19 inch bass out of that lake. and last year my other uncle caught a 24 inch bass out of that lake.