Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Sako

Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sako

I seriously doubt had he won a Ferrari that you guys would be encouraging him to sell it!
If I won a new Ferrari, that's the first thing I'd do with it. I have no need for a car that'll go 180mph and costs $40,000 to tune up every 10,000 miles and burns premium gas at 10mpg. I wouldn't put one mile on it. I'd load it onto a flatbed (carefully), and find a buyer.

Regarding powder efficiency. Do you deny that a WSM can produce as much or more velocity/grain of powder than its standard mag counterpart? The numbers don't lie. I know that I couldn't affort $75/box for ammo. I buy guns to shoot them, and at $75/box it'd sit in the safe. What's the barrel life expectancy with a .30-378? 500 shots? That's 10 trips to the range for me. Like I said, I like to shoot my rifles, and won't own one that won't be shot regularly at the range. It's a matter of personal preference. The fastest .30cal I'd even consider is the .300 RUM, and I doubt I'd ever buy one since my .300 WSM is enough gun for my needs. Like I said, if he doesn't mind spending the case to feed that beast, and doesn't mind feeling like he's been slapped upside the head by muzzleblast and punched in the shoulder with recoil, then more power to him. It's just not my kindof rifle. I'd sell it straight away and buy a Sako 75 in a lighter, more reasonable cartridge. That's my preference.

Mike
Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 PM

lol you guys crack me up!

'drift theres no denying the efficiency of the short mags. I was just bringing up the point that such concerns shouldn't be applicable to cartridges like ANY of the "super mags". They aren't bought with consideration too ammo costs, getting the most from small amounts of powder, etc etc... They are bought to be shot at LONG ranges, to kill like lightning and the grandest of ALL American reasons... just because you can!

500 round barrel life expectancy? Come on, theres no reason why you can't get 1500-2000 rounds out of that barrel. Sure if you go too the range and bang away box after box of ammo and get the barrel so hot you can see the bullet go down it. But ANY gun will do that when treated as such and if you like to put mega rounds through a rifle every weekend then you probably already own a .223 or a .308 and feed it surplus military ammo. Practice with the EXACT gun doesn't matter as much as repeated practice and proper form. The smaller, cheaper rounds can be used for that.. Super Mags are like that proverbial Ferrari, tempermental, more expensive to own and operate and built for limited use. BUT that limited use is done SOOOOOOO well it makes everything else worth it. I'm not telling the guy to sell everything else and stick solely with his new TRG-S. I'm recommending that if he has a need or desire for a long range "thumper" then by all means give it a whirl.

As for the "brutal recoil" I just don't see it! With a brake they are easier than ANY standard deer rifle you probably already have in your collection. I recommend muffs while on the range and Game Ears while in the field. To be honest I wish I would've started protecting my hearing 20 years ago with ALL my guns.

Good luck,
RA
Old 04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

They aren't bought with consideration too ammo costs, getting the most from small amounts of powder, etc etc... They are bought to be shot at LONG ranges, to kill like lightning and the grandest of ALL American reasons... just because you can!
Aah, but there's the heart of this issue. He didn't buy that gun, he won it. If someone buys a 30-378, they know, or should know, what they are getting into. Cost, recoil, blast, etc... But he won the gun and apparently doesn't know much at all about the cartridge like someone who was about to drop $1200 on a TRG-S would. I'm giving him the facts so he can make an informed decision about what he wants to do with the rifle. If he accepts the negatives and keeps the gun, I don't have a problem with it at all.

Mike
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me I'd sell the gun and buy pair of binoculars of something. I've got all the guns I want.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

GIVE IT A REST DRIFT,

All you cry about is recoil recoil, Like I said earlier, I hear Daisy has a great gun out there.

LAPPER, (the reason this thread exists)

ORIGINAL: lapper

I JUST WON A SAKO TRG-S 30-378 . CAN ANY BODY GIVE ME INFORMATION ON THIS GUN AND CALIBER. IS IT A GUN I SHOULD HOLD ON TO, OR SHOULD I TRY TO SELL IT? WHAT KIND OF GAME WOULD IT BE GOOD FOR ? THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.
Question 1: It is a 378 case necked down to a 30 cal bullet. It has the best ballistics out there on a 30 cal gun.

Question 2: If you want a long range gun and can afford to shoot it then hold on to it. Ammo $60-100 per box. If you are broke then sell it. If you got a jingle in your pocket put a good scope on it and let er fly. It will be a lot of fun shooting it and practicing at long ranges. It does have some kick, if it doesn't have a muzzle brake, put one on it. A 270 kicks more than that will WITH A BRAKE. Game ears in the field for any gun. The muzzle blast is a breeze of air that you will feel. If you're and idiot (drift) and stand next right next to the barrel then it will blow you over.

Question 3: You can kill any big game in NA with it. I am taking my Weatherby 30-378 mule deer hunting. Too much gun maybe. At 4-600 yds: NO: I am practicing weekly at long ranges.

Hope this helps
Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 AM

Barrel eater??? Now really, what in the world is that? Who cares how much powder it burns?
A barrel eater is a overbore cartridge, that by the time you have developed a good load for it, you have used up a good portion of the barrel life expectancy. It's not the velocity that kills a barrel, perse, it's the heat generated by the burning powder in the throat of the barrel that does the harm. More powder, more heat.

Come on, theres no reason why you can't get 1500-2000 rounds out of that barrel.
Uhhhh, try it. You'll be lucky to get 1000 rounds out of it before the throat is toast.

Don
Old 04-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you'd rather have something a bit more practical, you could always sell it for a quick $1000-1200 and buy yourself a nice Sako 75 in a more reasonable cartridge.
Unless you are really into long range shooting, reloading and are very unaffected by recoil that's what I would do. I don't reload and there's no way I would pay 75$ a box for ammo unless I had a really powerful and necessary reason to do so. I'd also have to order them online as no store within 100 miles of my home would have 30-378 in stock. I'd sell it and get a Sako 75 in a more practical caliber that tickled my fancy or suited my needs.