Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.45ACP???

Old 03-22-2005, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: .45ACP???

what if you had to choose between the Ruger or the Taurus?
Hard Choice. The rugers are very reliable, but I have yet to see any of them extreamly accurate. The Taurus's are well made, but a foriegn product, but have a great warranty.

Your on your own on this one. Your hand size will be the determining factor I say.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

what if you had to choose between the Ruger or the Taurus?
Hard Choice. The rugers are very reliable, but I have yet to see any of them extreamly accurate. The Taurus's are well made, but a foriegn product, but have a great warranty.

Your on your own on this one. Your hand size will be the determining factor I say.
EXACTLY!!! Get the one that fits you best....

I'm a 1911 fan. Can't give you an opinion on either of these two but I do own both a Taurus and Ruger revolver and haven't had a problem with either.... I don't think you can go wrong with either of these choices.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:25 PM

hey, if you haven't looked at CZ hanguns...you might want to, but I think they only have 1 or 2 .45 models (they're mostly 9mm[:'(] and 40S&W)
Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM

Allcamo

Taurus ---- FORGET THEM. Someone mentioned their warranty. What a bunch of B.S. Looks good on paper, wait until you have a problem with one of their guns. I bought a "Rageing Bull" .454 when it first came out... Taurus didn't hone out the inside of the cylinders very well and you couldn't eject more than 2 cases. And those you had to beat out... A call to "Taurus's Lifetime Warranty" center/non-customer service... and the rep on the other end of the line didn't want to take care of the problem. Even after explaining the situation.

The Rugers. Around this country... Western USofA, if you buy a Ruger Auto and later want to trade and/or sell it, be prepare to take it in the shorts. Lousy resell trade value. Personally, I just could never warm up to their autos (save for their excellent little .22s).

My.02 Save your money and buy a 1911 .45 APC (possibly a Springfield basic model). A double action .45 Auto is as useless as the perverbial tits on a bull. As Jeff Cooper once said, a great invention, for a non-existant problem. Also, double taps are very difficult to learn with that pistol. The money spent in ammo to learn just that, would be better spent on a better handgun, IMHO.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:57 PM
bigcountry

Taurus ---- FORGET THEM. Someone mentioned their warranty. What a bunch of B.S. Looks good on paper, wait until you have a problem with one of their guns. I bought a "Rageing Bull" .454 when it first came out... Taurus didn't hone out the inside of the cylinders very well and you couldn't eject more than 2 cases. And those you had to beat out... A call to "Taurus's Lifetime Warranty" center/non-customer service... and the rep on the other end of the line didn't want to take care of the problem. Even after explaining the situation
Wow, I am surprised, my brothers 454 had a slight ejection prob, and the gunshop he got it from sent it back no quesitons asked. Even the rugers have problems with 454 ejection sometimes.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:27 PM

b.c.

The rep. at Taurus accused me of using handloads at first. This was after advising them that I had only put factory ammo through it. Which was true.

Then the rep. said that their was something wrong with the Winchester cases. Not the guns chambers. I told the rep. I could visually see the rough chambers with my naked eye!

This went on and on, until they said they would take a look at it if I sent it back to them. But if it was anything other than a factory default, I'd be charged. (I know others, who have bought Taurus' and have gone down the same road that I did with them. Not a pleasant experience! They have sent their gun in to be repaired, only to have it returned to them months later, and the problem wasn't fixed.)

Honestly, They must get a lot of 'doofuses' calling with complaints about their New Taurus guns. Still, no reason for them to be accusatory and unwilling to fullfill their warranty obligations. I did like the Rageing Bull and it's porting system, but I'll never but another Taurus product again, because of the customer service previously stated.

I should have known better than to buy one when no major police dept. in the country (that I'm aware of) will allow their officers to carry a Taurus.

I got rid of the Taurus and bought a Ruger in .454. I really liked that gun but would have like to seen them come out with a 5 1/2" bbl. model. The felt recoil in a .454 Ruger is a lot more than that of the Taurus or the Freedom Arms' .454s. A touch of the earthquake, if you will.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you don't want to spend a ton of money, get the Ruger. They may not be as pretty and slick but it will do the job every time . No matter the bullet style, bullet weight, ammo brand, clean, dirty,old or new. It will go bang every time. Acccuracy is fine for the range they were made to shoot and the job they were made to do. I have had about every brand of 45 Auto made. For the price you can't beat the Ruger. When I carry it for defense which I do, I never have any concern about not having a 700-1000 dollar pistol. I have had the Glock, Springfield, Colt, Sig, Auto Ord, HK and Kimber as well as a couple 45 ACP revolvers. So I have tried a good selection of them. I liked them ALL.. I am not Knocking the Kimber but unless you use them a lot, its a lot of money to lay out. Forn those who have it, more power to them. For us who don't the Ruiger will take good care of us.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
bigcountry

Well, Gadd, that sounds like a real nightmare. I don't blame you for having issues with them.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Gun Tests mag. has not had very good results with Taurus , that said, Taurus has a lifetime warranty, is it specified if that is your life time or the life time of the Taurus distributor's company?
What happens when Taurus changes distributors?
Do you thing Ruger is going away soon?
I buy American when at all possible.
Don [8D]
Old 03-29-2005, 09:48 PM

RUGER all the way!