Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

I have a Mountain LSS in .260. Mounted a Zeiss Diavari C 3 x 9 on it. I have put about 20 rounds through it and am getting 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100. It will definitely do better, most of my shooting was to sight in the scope and break in the barrel. I am not sure I will ever be able to realize the full potential of the rifle with a 3 x9 scope. In my experience, I have only been able to get really small groups with higher power scopes. I bought this gun to be a light weight whitetail rifle for shots under 250 yards. It is perfect for that purpose, they are really nice guns. Everyone that sees the rifle, wants to handle it. I know two other people that have the Mountain in 7-08, good choice.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:22 PM

Well, finally got my new Rem 700 Mtn LSS 7MM-08 and took it to the range for the first time this past Sunday. Shot these work up groups of 140 Sierra SPBT Game Kings on top of Varget, with Rem Brass & Fed 210 Primers.

Grn 100Yd Group
40.5..........1.212...(two almost touching - one flyer)
42.0..........1.226....(two touching - one flyer)
43.0..........2.034....(This was definately me..not the gun)

Avg...........1.140

Best group was .610

To say I'm very pleased would be an understatement! I'd read so much about the 7MM-08 and the Rem 700 Mountain LSS that I was really expecting a lot from the gun and the cartridge. Well, in my opinion, it lived up to everything I thought it would be!!!! It's light, easy on the shoulder.....just a real sweet gun to shoot..... and to get a overall group average of 1.140 (including that 2.034 buggerboo) from a barrel that isn't even broken in yet was just a special bonus.

Think I'm gona love this gun!!!!
firstshot
-------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Here is a couple of PIC's.

firstshot
----------------------------
Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 18mac18

I have a Mountain LSS in .260. Mounted a Zeiss Diavari C 3 x 9 on it. I have put about 20 rounds through it and am getting 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100. It will definitely do better, most of my shooting was to sight in the scope and break in the barrel. I am not sure I will ever be able to realize the full potential of the rifle with a 3 x9 scope. In my experience, I have only been able to get really small groups with higher power scopes. I bought this gun to be a light weight whitetail rifle for shots under 250 yards. It is perfect for that purpose, they are really nice guns. Everyone that sees the rifle, wants to handle it. I know two other people that have the Mountain in 7-08, good choice.

ive shot my smallest groups with 4 power scopes on both my mountain rifle and my smith corona 03-A3. with my mountain rifle i was using winchester supreme 168 grain ballistic silver tips the group was a 3 shot group no bigger then a dime, with my 03-A3 i was using winchester super-X 150 grain silver tips it was a 3 shot group a little smaller then the size of a dime. funny thing is I cant seem to shoot groups that tight anymore with either rifle. except the mountain rifle is close with my handloads. its amazing how different factory ammo can be from lot to lot.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: firstshot

Here is a couple of PIC's.

firstshot
----------------------------

what a beautiful stock, id love to have that stock even on a blued gun. Ill have to take some pics of my mountain rifle and post them. just take in mind that my M700 mountain rifle is 17 years old so it will have some differences compared to newer ones.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I believe you. A good friend of mine can shoot 1" groups with iron sights on an old Swedish Mauser that he has. Another guy I know has a Dragunov rifle with a fixed 4 power scope gets incredible groups at 100 yds. (.5 - .75")

It probably has something to do with my eyes. I have been wearing glasses since the third grade. On my target and varmint rifles, I generally put a variable scope that tops out in the 16 to 20 power range. My favorite scope for this purpose is the old model Leupold Vari X III 6.5x20. I have 3 of them mounted on some tack driving rifles. On my hunting rifles, I have a different set of priorities and am not so concerned with 100 yd groups.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 PM

I have a 30-06 LSS mountain rifle,I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on it.I have put quite a bit os gun smithing in it.Glass bedded and free floated,recrowned and a Jewell trigger.It is beautiful and shoots well.The best groups that I have been able to get out of it are with Hornady Light Magnums 150 grain softpoints.Always under an inch.
The only thing that I wish was a little better is it's balance.It's a little flighty off hand relative to my other rifles of similar weight.There isn't a gun that I have that is prettier though.I had to have one!
Old 04-09-2005, 05:49 PM

All who have Mountain Rifles - regardless of brand

I would love to see some pics of your mountain rifles!!

firstshot
------------------------------------
Old 04-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have the SS mtn rifle but do have a blue model and this is a group I shot with it.I have had the rifle for years but don't shoot it much because I have so many calibers to play with.Only thing wrong with the thin barrels is they heat up so fast.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: herman

I don't have the SS mtn rifle but do have a blue model and this is a group I shot with it.I have had the rifle for years but don't shoot it much because I have so many calibers to play with.Only thing wrong with the thin barrels is they heat up so fast.
Holly smoke....what a great group!!!! Know what you mean about the skinny barrels heating up fast. I had to give it some cool down time between shots.

firstshot
-----------------------------------

Quick Reply: Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.