Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Goose Gun

Old 03-16-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Goose Gun

Well I have not hunted geese for about 10 years now but I am going to get back into it. Can someone recommend a good pump shotgun that is fairly priced. I don't want to buy junk but I don't want to break the bank either so say something in the $ 500-600 American range and $800 - 850 in Canadian funds.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Goose Gun

I'm sure there will be alot of replies for 835 Mossbergs. I have had one for nearly 15 years now. But its only a turkey gun now. The fit and finish is "so so" and the camo finish is downright weak. They kick like an abused mule without the ported barrel, but who wants to listen too a ported barrel in a blind all day? BUT with their 10ga boring they deliver BIG loads awfully dadgumed well!!!

When Remington released the 870 SuperMag several years ago I jumped on it. THAT is my recommendation too you. The 870 SPS SuperMag is an awfully tough gun that shoots VERY well and with an R3 pad, you can pound 3.5" goose loads through it all day and not feel like you have been in the ring with Ali. Personally I would stay away from the "Express" model 870s. They have more plastic pieces in them and the finish is HORRIBLE. The "parkerization" they feature is extremely weak and rusts faster than a Japanese car.

My second pump would be the Browning BPS Stalker. I LOVE the BPS' because I shoot lefthanded and with their ambidextrous safety and bottom ejection, they are easily suited for either shoulder. You might want to look at the guns featuring the "Dura Touch" stock finish. Personally I love the feel and extra armor.

The Benelli Nova is a tough gun despite their composite reciever. They shoot well, but being light they too are known for their recoil with big loads in them. For around $50 you can get a mercury recoil tube and bracket to install in the rear stock. But imho it makes the guns then feel tail heavy and un-balanced. Another complaint I hear often about Novas (same for the BPS' as well) is about the length of slide. Its a LOOONG way from the pistol grip/trigger area too the front half of the front stock. If you are under about 5'10" they might be a stretch for you.

Good luck though,
RA
Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM

I bought the 'Express 870' when they first came out and have been very satisfied. Of course I don't have any 'plastic' on mine and the finish isn't 'parkerized', it's bead blasted and blued. Inexpensive finish to produce and it requires being taken care of just like regular blueing, but it's non glare.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

10 guage browning BPS
Old 03-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

DO NOT GO WITH A BPS. Maybe they have changed, but I took one apart and had to take it to a smith to get it back together. He even struggled. Go with the NOVA 3.5". Don't use steal. I used the heavy shot and had multiple three shot three birds volleys. The NOVA in Camo is durable and reliable. I like to be able to break down my guns for extensive cleaning.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been hunting with a mossberg 835 for almost ten years, I have no complaints and many dead geese
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haugenna

DO NOT GO WITH A BPS. Maybe they have changed, but I took one apart and had to take it to a smith to get it back together. He even struggled. Go with the NOVA 3.5". Don't use steal. I used the heavy shot and had multiple three shot three birds volleys. The NOVA in Camo is durable and reliable. I like to be able to break down my guns for extensive cleaning.

WHAT!!!! A BPS is a snap to put together, in my opinion your post holds no water
Old 03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Complete dis- assemble. Trigger out and all.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 PM

for that price a mosburg is a good choice and the remington's are hard to beat. i like the idea of a semi for geese, that is why i use the 11-87 sps camo shoots great
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
bigcountry

Complete dis- assemble. Trigger out and all.
You need a new gunsmith haugenna. It just as easy as a 870.

Quick Reply: Goose Gun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.