Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300 win mag face-off

Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Default 300 win mag face-off

I will be new to hunting this year and would like some seasoned advice from you all. I have been looking for a big game rifle (elk, moose, etc) and am now thinking the 300 winchester magnum would be a good cartridge. What I would really appreciate is your opinions on is a good, quality rifle. I was looking at the Remington 700 BDL LSS as well as the Ruger M77 Mark II Sporter. Does anybody have any experience with these rifles or would you suggest I look at another brand alltogether? I just don't want to make a mistake I will regret everytime I get out the rifle to go practice or hunt. My local gun shop would have to order the Ruger and has the Remington in stock and is willing to sell it at the Ruger price, should I do it? All help is greatly appreciated!
Para_packer
Old 03-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 win mag face-off

I well take a lot of **** for this one but look at the charles daly mauser. I got one 3 weeks ago and i was impressed with this gun out of the box with factory ammo shot less than 1 inch at 100 yards. I will not nock the ruger I have one of them to dam good gun. But the mauser is about $150.00 cheaper. Remmys have had some problems with quatly for the past few years. If you want a remmington get a good used one you will be better off. just my thought hope this helps
Old 03-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

I ve herd good things about teh ruger line up but have you look at brownings. there beautiful high quality and accurate firearms, but you will have to pay for it.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

While you're shopping, take a look at the Tikka T3's. They are great quality guns at a very reasonable price. They are guaranteed and tested to shoot a sub-1" 5 shot group at 100 yards at the factory. The action is very well made and glass smooth, and both the wood and composite stocks are good quality. The trigger is user adjustable down to 2lbs, and it is very crisp and clean with the least creep I've ever felt in a factory trigger with the exception of Tikka's big brother, Sako. The gun also has dovetails machined into the receiver so it doesn't need bases and comes with scope rings. It also includes sling swivels, but they aren't as good as the quick detachable sling swivels most of us are used to.

You should be able to pick one up for between $500-575 depending on the configuration, and if you look you can get them for better than that. I just brought home a T3 Lite in .300WSM that was clearanced at Scheel's for the great price of $429, with a regular price of $499.

Mike
Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am partial to Rugers. I have three of them. You couldn't give me a Remington. If you want a good value for your buck also take a look at a Savage.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:39 PM

I have both the ruger and the remington. you'll be happy either way. Pick the one that fits you better. If one shots better than the other; it outshoots me.
Nice things about the ruger
1. Free scope rings
2. Controlled round feed (if you like it)
3. great build quality
4. three position saftey( if you like it)
Nice things about the remington
1. remington action (if you like it)
2. two position saftey ( if you like it)
3. great build quality

300 win mag is a great round
Farmanimal
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have fired many remington 700's in a variety of chamberings and found them to be the most consistantly accurate factory made rifle with the possible exception of the tikka t-3's that I have fired recently.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:28 AM

I have owned both. The Remington was sold and I have the Ruger. The only complaint I had with the Remington was that it did not fit me well. I found the felt recoil to be more noticable, if that is the correct term, than any other rifle I have had. Accuracy was good but I was getting the same, if not better, from rifles that fit me better.

That being said, I believe getting a Remington BDL LSS for the same prices a a Ruger M77 is a pretty good deal. They seem to run about $150 or more.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the advice so far! It kinda makes me feel not as clueless as I had originally thought on this subject. I have looked at the Brownings and I do not doubt their quality, just a little rich for my blood, maybe when I have a really GOOD job I will be able to afford one. The local gun shop has one used, but I want to stay away from used if possible, I don't know what the previous owner did with it so I will stick to new. Also looked at the Savages, without a doubt one of the best values around, but seem to be a little bulkier than a comparable Remington or other rifle. Does anybody know about/used their new Accu Trigger? What do you think of it? Believe it or not, I also looked at the Tikkas, never heard of them before but looked anyway. They are purportedly very accurate out of the box, but the prices I saw seemed a bit high...maybe those were the MSRPs that store owners post so it looks like you are getting a REALLY good deal! Any other thoughts would be appreciated! What do your hubting buddies think, etc? (I don't have any hunting buddies yet...never been hunting) Thanks again for your invaluable input!
Para_packer
Old 03-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both a Savage 10ML-II with Accu-Trigger and a Tikka T3 that I just bought. I can't say how the Tikka shoots, cause I haven't shot it yet, but if it lives up to Tikka reputation and guarantee, then I know I'll be happy.

The Accu-Trigger is GREAT. Very easy to adjust with on screw, very crisp with almost no creep. It has more overtravel than I'd like, but that's less important than creep and break. It's worth the extra $75 that you'll pay for a rifle so equipped.

As far as the Tikka's go, the MSRP's are really high. For a T3 Lite or T3 Hunter (blued/synthetic or blued/walnut respectively) like I have, the regular price at my local Scheel's is $480. I got mine on clearance for $430. The higher end models with stainless steel and/or laminate stocks cost about $100 more. The varmint version in a little more as well. But for $480 the T3 is a good value. It's a very well made rifle for the money. The action is glass smooth, and unlike most of the less expensive synthetic stocked rifles (including the Savage, IMO) the stock is solid, sleek and very well finished. It only has one faint mold line that runs the bottom length of the stock along the centerline. The trigger is also easily adjustable, and is the crispest conventional single-stage trigger I've encountered on a factory rifle for less than $800, with the exception of the Accu-Trigger which is comparable if not slightly better.

Mike

Quick Reply: 300 win mag face-off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.