Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300 win mag face-off

Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM

Default RE: 300 win mag face-off

There are obviously a lot of good rifles out there - and the fact that the Remington 700 dominates the competetive shooting field as well the sniper rifle arena is not a small coincidence, IMO. I do wonder about the choice of caliber, though. The number of folks who can shoot a 300 Win. Mag without flinching are in the minority. Great caliber, but about 50% above most shooter's tolerance for recoil. And, unless you need to shoot beyond 400 yards, the 30/06 is perfectly adequate.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:02 PM

Variety is the spice of life....If you can shoot it, and it's legal, and you like it, have a ball!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mixerdriverm
I can not believe someone suggested you buy a Savage. You could not give me one of them.
Also look at weatherby great guns but more expensive.
I guess one more guy whos never shot a savage, but wants to pass judgement on them!!! Lets recap......I own 2 Savages that shoot under an inch. I tried to reload a Weatherby ($1200 accumark) and under no circumstances (reloads or factories) could 2" groups be obtained! That is personal experience with BOTH!!! You coulnt give me another Weatherby!!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried to reload a Weatherby ($1200 accumark) and under no circumstances (reloads or factories) could 2" groups be obtained!
And from what I've heard, trying to lap the lugs and recessed to true-up a Mk V standard (6 lug) action is a trick, and getting the 9 lug magnum version to bear on all lugs evenly is a real PITA and probably very expensive. Two and even three lug actions aren't nearly the work. I guess I'll find out when I get out to school, but that's what I've had other 'smiths tell me. So, basically, if your Mk V isn't square-to-the-world and it's accuracy sucks because of it, you might spend less money to buy a Savage than trying to have the action blueprinted and trued up. Ain't that a real kick in the crotch for a poor sap who saved months to drop $1200 on a rifle. Better off, for that money, buying a Sako.

Mike