Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

High Capacity Mags ???

Old 02-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Capacity Mags ???

I see where you weren't man enough to reply to that other post about Natchez over at hunting gear reviews..

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Back to high capacity magazines, I have a Ruger 10/22 and I think it is probably the most appropriate gun for such magazines since reloading after just 10 shots can get tedious with this autoloader, particularly when I take my two sons to the range to shoot it. You do need to be aware of local ordinances. While the Federal ban on high capacity magazines has been lifted, some jurisdictions, such as here in California, have their own laws prohibiting magazines of greater than 10 round capacity. Reputable mail order firms like "Cabelas" and "Cheaper than Dirt" know which ones they are and do not ship high capacity magazines to these jurisdictions but less scrupulous sellers could get you into trouble.

Californiadoctor
Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
bigcountry

I will just add its not a clip..... its a magazine, that seriously peeves me when someone refers to a magazine as a clip....errrrrr!!!!
Why? Just wondering. I know what someone is referring to with both.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:35 AM

In Maryland magazine purchses are limited to 20rds, However it's legal to goto PA and buy more than a 20rd and bring it back. As long as the "Purchase" doesn't happen in Maryland. Wired but it's a nice work around for those of use close to the PA border.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

whats the dif. between a clip and a mag???
Old 02-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jedi Knight

In Maryland magazine purchses are limited to 20rds, However it's legal to goto PA and buy more than a 20rd and bring it back. As long as the "Purchase" doesn't happen in Maryland. Wired but it's a nice work around for those of use close to the PA border.

Also, when Cheaper than dirt runs a sale on Hicap "magazines" it is nice to have a friend that lives in Gettyburg PA, my friend gets tons of stuff shipped there, and he doesnt even shoot!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 AM

I won't buy an new ones, I don't need them.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:21 PM

A magazine is a storage and feeding device for cartridges. Generally made up of a body, a spring, and a follower. A clip is generally recognized as a spring metal device that holds several cartridges together, to allow them to be placed in a magazine. For instance military Mauser rifles (and derivatives, like the US 1903 and 1917) have five round magazines in the receiver. A clip, also known as a stripper, stripper clip, or charger, aloows fast, efficient loading of the magazine. The US M1 Garand uses a clip to hold eight cartridges together, and allows them to be inserted into the magazine.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The simplest way to think of the difference is that a clip feeds a magazine, and a magazine feeds the chamber. The only gun that I can think of that utilizes a clip and a magazine simutaneously is the M1 Garand. But it still fits the above definitions. The enbloc clip, cartridges and all, feed the fixed internal magazine, but the clip is required for proper operation. This is more of an exception than the rule.

To answer the question at hand...I just bought a new Springfield XD-9, which includes three 15 round magazines and the holster (the January promo). I'm glad Clinton's ban was allowed to expire, as it didn't do squat to reduce crime. I, like the vast majority of law-abiding citizens (read: the ones that obey gun laws, even the silly and stupid ones), am no more dangerous to myself or others with 15 rounds in the magazine than I was with only 10. But that degree of common sense seems to elude most of our elected officials inside the beltway.

Mike
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charley

A magazine is a storage and feeding device for cartridges. Generally made up of a body, a spring, and a follower. A clip is generally recognized as a spring metal device that holds several cartridges together, to allow them to be placed in a magazine. For instance military Mauser rifles (and derivatives, like the US 1903 and 1917) have five round magazines in the receiver. A clip, also known as a stripper, stripper clip, or charger, aloows fast, efficient loading of the magazine. The US M1 Garand uses a clip to hold eight cartridges together, and allows them to be inserted into the magazine.

thanks for clearing that up! I seriously never knew the difference. I will from now on use the word magazine, now that I have been informed.

thanks again

Quick Reply: High Capacity Mags ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.