Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington Model 710

Old 02-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Remington Model 710

Can anyone tell me what they think of this rifle? There were a couple of guy's at the range the other day with them and they seemed to shoot pretty good for any entry level gun. (1.5" grpoups) I am just wondering if they would be worth the money for a .300 for moose hunting??

Thoughts???
Old 02-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Model 710

The 710 is at the bottom of the barrel for bolt action rifles.

There are much much much better rifles available to the consumer for about the same price range. Come one........ Plastic sleeves in the receiver of a bolt action rifle and a barrel that is simple press fit into the receiver. Not to mention the incredibly ugly stock that's on it. Bad Remington, Bad, bad bad.[:'(][:'(][:'(]

Savage and Howa are two of the best lower cost rifles avaialble to you.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allegianace05, I see you're fairly new here. Take the time and look into the archives. The Remington 710 has probably gotten the most attention here then any other rifle. Unfortunately 95% of the comments are negitive.Once in awhile someone will praise them. They are a very cheaply made rifle. The stock is unbelievably ugly. The barrels are pressed in.The triggers are pure garbage.The scopes are a cheap scope in the package deal.As far as I know they only come in 270 and 30-06. You mentioned Moose hunting with a .300. You can do much better with a Savage or a Remington 700 ADL.I'm not exactly sure but it seems to me there was a recall about the bolts coming out of these 710's. Remington has turned out some garbage when the brought these 710's and the 597's out.Not knowing what you can afford to spend makes it hard to recommend a good rifle.The Savages are a lower priced rifle. A no frills rifle but are very accurate.The Rem 700 ADL's can be had for less then 400.00. Both of these are twice the rifle compared to the 710.For a little more money Ruger's M-77's are a great rifle.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with a Ruger 77 MK II. Walmart has them for about $460 and they come with the rings. It will be more accurate than the 710. My 300 WSM shoots .6" at 100 yards with my 180gr handloads.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Well that pretty much sums that up. Thanks for your input. I was trying to justify not spending a whole bunch more money on another gun so I think I will go to my original plan.

I have a Sako 7mm STW that I just love to hunt with but have always thought maybe I should go bigger on Moose ( just my preference ). I think I will just get the Leupold QD Mounts and Load up some 175 Bear Claws. I don't like using 1 bullet for deer and moose and it takes alittle away from the flatness of my gun using bigger bullets. I hunt a lot of wide open terrain and like using 140 gr. bullets on deer and don't like having to resight my gun every time for a bigger load for moose.

Once again thanks for your input.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot several moose and elk with 140gr partitions out of my own 7mmstw's and the results were very good.Moose are large animals but are actually quite easy to kill.They may not drop at the shot but they seldom travel far before dropping or bedding down to die..
Old 02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, I was at a gun show a few weeks ago, and had the chance to pick one of these up and handle it (after all the bad press I read on here about it) and I thought to myself, "how could anyone who's ever shot/handled bolt action rifles think that this poorly created piece of junk even remotely compares to the other rifles on the market today". I mean just from the initial handling of this rifle it just feels like junk! And to think you can buy a Savage model 110 for the same money and have a long lasting sub moa gun right outta the box.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
bigcountry

I mean just from the initial handling of this rifle it just feels like junk!
Mossy, you big gun snob

Hey, this is one of those topics we should stay away from with the "the big dummy" we talked about over the weekend. He has one. touch and go.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:39 PM
bigcountry

I have a Sako 7mm STW that I just love to hunt with but have always thought maybe I should go bigger on Moose ( just my preference ). I think I will just get the Leupold QD Mounts and Load up some 175 Bear Claws
I used 180gr out a 308win for moose, 200gr from a 300RUM. All with the same results. I don't think I would worry about using 140gr partitions or 160gr accubonds.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:42 PM

I use the Remington Model 7 .308 win. and I've been very pleased with the performance (1/4 to 1" groupings depending on ammo.) It has the same action as the 700, so you may want to look at the 700.

Ant
www.anthonypmaurosr.com

Quick Reply: Remington Model 710

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.