Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington Model 710

Old 02-07-2005, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Remington Model 710

My preference is to have them expire sooner rather than later, not to mention if I do make a poor shot a little extra lead should help me out.

I used the 160 gr. Nosler Accubond on deer this year and it made quite a mess compared to my fathers 7mm with a 160 gr. Speer grand slam. I have shot many moose with a 160 gr. bullet I just want a little more thump without getting ridiculous about it.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

not to mention if I do make a poor shot a little extra lead should help me out.
A heavier bullet is not likely going to be any advantage in the event of poor shot placement.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:53 PM

These guns get beat up a lot on various firearm forums. I do volunteer duty at a city run shooting range in N. Idaho and I've seen two of these guns at the range. They aren't much to look at, but they do shoot very well.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Stubblejumper,

I am curious why you don't think the extra lead will help??

Will the extra lead not do more damage as it passes through?? I also like to think bigger is not always better which is why I don't walk around with a .338 or a .340 Weatherby mag. But the extra power associated with the larger lead tends to in the right hands be quite convincing if you have seen it first hand.

Comments....

ps. why is a guy from the bush country calling himself a stubblejumper, are you a transplant??
Old 02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
bigcountry

A heavier bullet is not likely going to be any advantage in the event of poor shot placement
I have to agree. Not with moose anyway. I didn't find them quite that tough. Maybe elk. Best you can hope for is a pass thru. Barnes would get you that. I didn't get a passthru even with a 200gr partition and 300RUM. But it was a long shot clipping the shoulder.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

They aren't much to look at, but they do shoot very well.
Until the magazine falls out, the bolt comes out in your hand and the trigger linkage breaks.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any gun that is made with plastic as part of the receiver............... Come on. What was Remington thinking?

And then to press fit a barrel that is required to control 65,000 PSI? An accident waiting to happen!

I would be willing to bet that once these things have been around for 10 or 15 years that we will start hearing bad stories of barrels coming loose or shooting off from the receivers.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any gun that is made with plastic as part of the receiver............... Come on. What was Remington thinking?

And then to press fit a barrel that is required to control 65,000 PSI? An accident waiting to happen!

I would be willing to bet that once these things have been around for 10 or 15 years that we will start hearing bad stories of barrels coming loose or shooting off from the receivers.

Well the bolt lockup in the barrel will control that PSI but the action isn't the smoothest even made of the material it is made of. I understand they are now offering "Metal" recievers for 2005.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I mean just from the initial handling of this rifle it just feels like junk!
Mossy, you big gun snob

Hey, this is one of those topics we should stay away from with the "the big dummy" we talked about over the weekend. He has one. touch and go.
Check.....Ill add that to the list of topics to make sure I bring up on our hunt......"hey Chuck......ever shot one of those pos remington 710's????" you would have to be an idiot to buy one of them!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

don't do it.. the 710 i looked at was junk. YOu can get a savage package for less even some Winchester m70's for the same price which is much more gun.

Quick Reply: Remington Model 710

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.