Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Post 64 Model 70 Winchester

Old 01-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Post 64 Model 70 Winchester

I have the chance to buy a Post 64 model 70 Winchester Featherweight. I've heard that many don't like this rifle and its design. I would like to know what isn't liked about the rifle? It appears to me that it's designed much like a Remington 700. I understand the differences between controlled round feed and push feed. If Remington and the other push feed designs are like so well what is wrong with the Winchester? The gun is chambered for 6MM Remington and is owned by a close friend. It's a tight grouper with handloads or Federal Premium 100 gr. Nosler Partitions. Any comments will be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Post 64 Model 70 Winchester

I think, the pre64 thing is really overrated. I agree, if you don't mind a 700 action, then you won't mind a Post 64 action. So unless you are planning to chamber a round upside down, don't worry about it.

They say other quality aspects went down too. But who knows.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I think, the pre64 thing is really overrated. I agree, if you don't mind a 700 action, then you won't mind a Post 64 action. So unless you are planning to chamber a round upside down, don't worry about it.
I agree
Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have a new featherlight in 7mm08 and love it.If you like the 700 you love the winchester
Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

The pre 64's are considered to be a superior action because they were very well built. At around 1964 Winchester was revamped so to speak and they began focusing more on quanity rather than quality. This is not to say that post 64 rifles are bad because they aren't. Mine functions just fine. But the pre 64's are better.

They were machined from solid billets of steel rather than cast like the post 64's are.

They have controled round feeding rather than the push round feeding. Some consider this a plus.

The extractor is obviously much stronger than the small extractor on the post 64 rifles.

Parts were more precisely fitted to each other.

Quality control was much much better on pre 64 rifles.

The stocks were of much higher quality woods.

The bottom metal was machined from steel rather than aluminum alloy on the post 64's
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are no better rifle than 80 percent of the new rifles. You can maybe make a buck or two because of the collector value. This would depend on what you have to pay for it. It is a rather odd caliber for that gun so that may help. I have shot a lot of them and owned several. There is nothing special about them.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:31 AM
bigcountry

They were machined from solid billets of steel rather than cast like the post 64's are.

They have controled round feeding rather than the push round feeding. Some consider this a plus.

The extractor is obviously much stronger than the small extractor on the post 64 rifles.

Parts were more precisely fitted to each other.

Quality control was much much better on pre 64 rifles.

The stocks were of much higher quality woods.

The bottom metal was machined from steel rather than aluminum alloy on the post 64's
I think alot of people would disagree with alot of that. I can't say any of it is undisputed fact exept the extractor differences.

I have seen outstanding Post64 and pre64 models. But then again, I wasn't shooting in 64, so really shouldn't even be posting on it. But it made me think of a John Barshness article where he talked about this very issue. He said he didn't understand people looking down on the post either.

And shoot james has been around since the 30-06 came out. He seems to not mind the Post64's.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had just a few post 64's and they generally shot better then the pre-64's which barring the trigger and safety are one of the most overrated rifles ever made. The post 64's however never handled or shot as well as a comparable remington 700.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 AM
DM

I think, the pre64 thing is really overrated. I agree, if you don't mind a 700 action, then you won't mind a Post 64 action.
I agree, and the 700 Rems are a much stronger design than the pre 64 Wins too.

I've hunted dangerous game a lot, and i've never seen where haveing controlled feed would have made any difference in my hunting.

If i wanted the ultimate dangerous game rifle, it would be a double triggered double rifle, and yes i have hunted with one of those too, as i have an O/U double rifle.

Drilling Man
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

And dadgone oldelk, you have been around since since they started loading 45-70 with smokeless powder. So I will have agree with you on this.

Quick Reply: Post 64 Model 70 Winchester

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.