Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning or Weatherby

Old 01-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning or Weatherby

I was given a new Vanguard in .270 win and have put more than 200 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better and better. Although I do load my own rounds for it, it has not been picky on what I shoot through it. My Vanguard does have a 60 degree bolt lift and two lugs. I can't compare it to the A-bolt as I have never had one nor shot one. Not as smooth as my Remington 700's or Winchester 70. More than accurate enough to hit game farhter than most people can shoot, and seems to be very reliable and well built.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

Dadgonit people. You all must have those special made vanguards that no one else has. Read straight from weatherby's website.

http://www.weatherby.com/rifles/vanguard.shtml

Or read the 10th paragraph.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/wby_vanguard_syn.htm

Or read here.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/weatherby_vanguard.html

Or here on the weatherby vanguard section.
http://www.webarms.com/Gun%20Supplie...n%20Rifles.htm

I am going to let you in on a little secret on rifles and I by no means am a expert, with a two bolt design its hard to achieve a 60degree bolt lift like a browning, or 54 degree like the real weatherby. Your lugs have to be huge.

Ok, let the posts fly. Where are ya capt ray. Stubble, I know you know the answer but won't confirm this fact.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

As you say the vanguard does have a 90 degree bolt throw.I have owned rifles with 54,60 and 90 degree bolt throws and personally,I do not find any real difference cycling any of them.I do prefer the idea of two or three lugs because it is easier to lap then to obtain even pressure on each,whereas it is nearly impossible to attain even loading on nine lugs.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:13 PM
bigcountry

Stubble, I agree the extra degree of throw doesn't concern me either. What I saying to one poster that the actions are far from simular. I am not sure what kinda gun he has if he has 60 degree throws, but I am sure its not a vanguard. And not sure what kinda A-Bolts he has if he has 2 lugs.

I like 3 lug but agree the 9lug thing is too much.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:55 PM

Thanks for all of your input... I think that i will get the browning.
Then again I can't have too many rifles mabey i'll buy the vanguard as well
Old 02-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll stay with FN Browning! Weatherby's have to much FREE BORE . How ever way the bullet strikes the rifeling,thats the
way it is going to exit. If the bullet already has a slight KANT on the shell plus to much FREE BORE.....BAD PRINT.
When I reload, I always check RUN OUT on finish rounds with round-out gage.
If you want to check how much FREE BORE your rifle has, purchase the tool from STONEY POINT. There is one for Bolt
and one for Levers. I have read on this POST, how accurate can I make my reloads? Well?

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:23 PM
bigcountry

Rebel, not all weatherby's have that much freebore. Just the "weatherby" rounds.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

RA Howas are made by HOwa here is their link http://www.howa.co.jp/english/
Old 02-28-2005, 10:10 AM

I've had both, I still have a Wby. I like the short bolt throw, accuracy with factory ammo is very good. Things I don't like is the long barrel, I'm going to get almost 2 inches off mine next time I talk to our local gunsmith. I'm not a fan of long barrels.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 PM

oeh I believe what was once Miroku's gun making division (they built for many makers including Weatherby, Beretta, Charles Daly and of course Browning) was either sold to Howa or spunoff too become Howa? Miroku is now solely into gundrill mfgring. At one point (in the late 60s I believe) Miroku and FN actually bought 90% of the stock of Browning Arms Inc.

I have a stainless stalker Abolt (1) 7mag that has Miroku stamped on the barrel. I will have to check but I am fairly sure that a French holding company owns what we know as Browning and Winchester arms today. Perhaps that company was the reminants (or a branched off subsidiary?) that purchased Miroku's shares of Browning Arms and is now the company that we know today?

Corporate history is seldom stationary but the end result is the same, the guns are equally great!
RA

Quick Reply: Browning or Weatherby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.