Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Old 03-22-2005, 11:32 PM

Default RE: What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Seeing as how nearly everyone has mentioned the 10/22 (not a bad gun but you need suggestions), I think I will give some good options.

The first is the Ruger MKIII Hunter. This is a beautiful shiny gun with fluted barrel and Hi-Viz fiberoptic sights and rosewood handle grips. It is extremely accurate and quite nice. It is very good for .22 hunting and plinking. It is a bit pricey at $400-$600 depending on where you get it.

+Highly accurate
+Very nice to look at
+Very useful for target shooting or hunting
-Expensive in comparison to other .22 LR pistols
-Somewhat heavier than others, but not excessively and for recoild reduction reasons

[link]http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/258L.gif[/link]

The other choice I suggest is the P22 from Walther. It is similar to the P99 only it fires .22LR. Despite the 3.4" barrel, it is very accurate and quite comfortable. It is made out of carbon fiber and is therefore very light. It is designed as either a training pistol, highly conceilable defense weapon, or as a VERY useful survival or hunting pistol. Perfectly sized to put in a pack for a rugged hike in the wilderness. It can be upgraded with an extended barrel w/compensator (upgrades to 5"), a scope rail, Hi-Viz fiberoptic sights, tac-lights, laser sights, or even silencers for the hunter who doesn't want to scare prey (this costs $200 and requires a level III license) but I don't suggest it (that's just because I don't think any citizen should have one). It has minor reliability issues. It is ammo picky and there are problem magazines out there. Federal ammo and Winchester Wildcat .22 LRs are perfectly fine for the P22. For magazines, there are new models out that have an A after the code printed on them that work well. Even the ones that aren't new jam regularly but not after many rounds are used. It is somewhat tricky to clean but nothing too bad. My personal fav.

+High tech and very VERY fun to shoot with
+Accurate and customizable despite 3.4" barrel
+Capable of defense, target, hunting, or survival shooting more than adequately
+Looks AWESOME!
+cheap
+Quite customizable
+Good for beginners as a training pistol
+- Jack-of-all-trades, master of none (you choose if this is good or bad)
-Light and comfy with customizable hand grips
-Complicated design
-Somewhat tricky to reassemble
-Picky with ammo
-Some bad magazine models out there

[link]http://tir.cecaz.free.fr/la_ciotat_2002/Walther-P22-cal-22-LR.JPG[/link]
[link]http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/Walthers/P22_22.jpg[/link]
Old 03-23-2005, 01:55 PM

Default RE: What Semi-auto .22 to buy?

Sorry, that post was big. Those are both good .22 choices and I guess you were thinking more along the lines of a .22 rifle, but those two are comparatively accurate and they can be customized enough to fire dozens of yards out (especially the MKIII). They are both useful and fun, but the P22 is more fun and the MKIII is somewhat more specialized. You decide which is better.