Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mk V vs Vanguard comparisms

Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weatherby Mk V vs Vanguard comparisms

Well, I guess I touched a "sensitive" Oldelk fiber here!

Chill out oldie, life is too short (and the season is even shorter) to hang out in the forums making such unfriendly comments.

Just think that a Ford Pinto and a BMW will take you from point A to point B, but the thing is to get there!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

but I gladly pay the overprice just to watch other guys look at any of the Mark V's I own with that little envy reflected in their eyes
And of course your comment was friendly. As a previous owner of just a few Weatherby Mkv's I can tell you there is no envy at least on my part towards these guns.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

To each its own..........

Be happy!!.........
Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are pretty guns....but I make it a point to hunt with all mine..lol. Would hate to scratch something that looks that good.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:57 PM

I recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Magnum and "made in Japan" is clearly stamped on it so I think Howa is still manufacturing the barrel and action. I believe the synthetic stock is built by a company called Butler Creek which is located either in the U.S. and Canada which makes the Vanguard typical of the global economy. I bought mine at a sporting goods store. Wall Mart does not sell firearms in California, it may be that they do not want to deal with the 10 day waiting period. Anyway, I love my Vanguard and have consigned my Remington 700 BDL to a permenant spot in the back of my gun safe.

Californiadoctor
Old 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM

I agree with Red Allison.....Sometimes you just need a mid-life crisis. Buy the ferrari! There are two things that make a gun valuable to me. First, if it has memories....like your grandfather or your dad hunted with it. Second, if it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

I use the cheap but solid for most hunting and drag out the art and the memories just cause they make you feel good! -Griller
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM

If Howa can build a Weatherby Vanguard chambered for .338 Winchester Magnum why can't Weatherby offer the Vanguard in .340 Weatherby Magnum. Is it some type of technical problem or is it a fear that more savvy consumers who felt the need for that kind of power would opt for the Vanguard over the much pricier Mark Vs?

Californiadoctor