Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby Mk V vs Vanguard comparisms

Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weatherby Mk V vs Vanguard comparisms

i agree with wa7mm non of the mark v's that i've owned has ever let me down.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

non of the mark v's that i've owned has ever let me down.
The same can be said for millions of rifles costing less than half as much.I have never had a gun fail in the field and that includes some very low priced guns.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

i personally believe my mark v is superior to some of the low priced rifles your refering to.maybe not to the degree of price difference.but hey wouldn't it be boring to have nothing but savages in your arsenal.i like having as many different rifles as i can afford to take to the range.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

maybe not to the degree of price difference.
That is why we are saying that they are overpriced.They simply don't offer enough advantage(if any at all) to justify the huge price difference.

wouldn't it be boring to have nothing but savages in your arsenal
Not if they were all very accurate rifles.Accurate rifles are never boring.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

HAY any one have a mark v for sell in 300 weatherby mag?

I am looking for one :}
Old 01-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Is the Mark V really overpriced or not? Its a semi-custom AMERICAN BUILT piece. That alone is worth something aint it? Sure it could probably be $500-$1000 cheaper if it was assembled in China but would you want one then?

American products DO cost a lil more, we all know that. But whats the harm? When I hear and think "Mark V" I think solely of the beautiful wood variants, Deluxe, Custom etc... The standard Mark V Deluxe us STILL the quint-essential magnum rifle in my mind. The looks and curves are as classic as those on a 67 Stingray or a 59 Eldorado convertible. Roy Weatherby was all about PIZAZZ and "that lil sumpin" that just isn't present in the synthetic verions. The Mark V bland "also rans" in stainless and black synthetic are just like everyone elses and yeah probably dont feature enough features to compete with most others at twice the price (or do they, again they are American built when most others are either from the orient or former eastern block countries).

Too each his own I reckon, but I STILL will have a collection of Mark V Deluxes in every caliber from .224-.460 by the time the grim reaper comes calling! And for no other reason than "farts n giggles" and if I dont spend it my wife and kids will,
RA
Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

As I say in my previous post, maybe they are a little overpriced, but I gladly pay the overprice just to watch other guys look at any of the Mark V's I own with that little envy reflected in their eyes.....
Old 01-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I say in my previous post, maybe they are a little overpriced, but I gladly pay the overprice just to watch other guys look at any of the Mark V's I own with that little envy reflected in their eyes.....
Hopefully your not like other Weatherby owners that are into high ticket items and never practice with their guns. They are probably deep down inside laughing at a fool that paid too much for a rifle.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 PM

aw oeh be easy on him, lol

I for one miss the era of GORGEOUS rifles. Now don't get me wrong, I have a majority of synthetic "hunting guns". But I likewise enjoy a beautiful creation of art with craftsmanship that is admirable. Unless you are talking about rare one off guns built mainly in Europe and a hanful of domestic producers, todays "hunting guns" are built of exotic metals and stocks that have as much eye appeal as a 50 year old cast iron skillet.

The Mark V Deluxe STILL draws looks. Pulling one out of a safe in a room full of admirers is like pulling a Ferrari into the parking lot... all eyes are upon it! And what about the Mark V Crown Custom? WOW I drool and get a stiffy just thinkin about one. They are kinda like havin a 6' tall blonde with BIG hooters in a outfit cut clear too THERE, tons of makeup, high heels that make her wobble and more curves than Road Atlanta with that set of bedroom eyes that stop traffic. If Hugh Hefner has any rifles I suppose he has a Crown Custom

Its not ALWAYS about utilities, sometimes ya just gotta say LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!!
RA
Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are probably deep down inside laughing at a fool that paid too much for a rifle.
I think that in many cases you would be correct.

I was on an elk hunt in new mexico several years ago and the outfitter took 9 of us hunters to the range to check our rifles zero's after our flights.One of the hunters had a crown grade 300 weatherby that had very fancy wood with inlays and extensive engraving.He was very proud of the rifle and although he had brought a borrowed rifle on the hunt as a backup he didn't bother to fire it.He shot a group of about 1-1/2" and then bragged to everyone how he was going to kill a 340 or better elk on the trip.Everyone else fired their rifles and my groups with both my stainless synthetic customs in 7mmstw and 8mmremmag were the smallest groups of the lot.The fellow with the weatherby looked at my guns and said something to the effect of "they shoot well but sure are plain looking".
We were then taken to our separate ranches to begin our hunts.On the third day I killed a decent 6x6 bull at 250 yards with my 7mmstw.At the end of our hunts we were all taken to our hotel to await our flight the next day.One of the fellows from the same camp as myself that had taken a very nice bull, treated the rest of the us and the guides from the hunt to supper that night.The weatherby owner approached me after supper and inquired as to where he could buy a mcmillan stock like mine to mount on his weatherby for future hunts.Apparently he had fallen on his rifle and broken the stock at the bolt cutout.He did not kill and elk on the trip.I talked to his guide later on and the guide told me that after breaking the stock the fellow had taken the backup gun on the next hunt and had missed a bull scoring at least 340 four times at about 200 yards.
Apparently that fancy gun with the inlayed wooden stock was nice to look at but even the owner realized that looks were not as important as durability and reliability when on an elk hunt.

Quick Reply: Weatherby Mk V vs Vanguard comparisms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.