Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

what caliber for long distance deer?

Old 01-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what caliber for long distance deer?

Stubble, did ya ever use Nosler Ballistics tips in that STW? I was wondering how they performed at the real high speeds
I always use 140gr ballistic tips in my two 7mmstw's.With a muzzle velocity of 3500fps they do a great job even on deer in excess of 300lbs.I have had the ballistic tips exit at distances as close as 25 yards.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply...a buddy of mine that I have started messing around with reloading with has a 7STW and thats what hes wanting to use.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

If I was starting out I would consider something with a short action, very little recoil and ammo that you could purchase anywhere anytime for under $20 a box ( rules out the mags). Unless your shooting very large game anything in the 30-06 size will do. Say what you will, not many people that I have shot next to can hit a pie plate offhand at 150 yards, no less in a hunting situation at 400 -500 (I can hear it now, blah blah blah blah blah). Some people let their egos enlarge their ability. I am very happy with my 7x57 and 6.5x55 for deer size game. Although the 7mm-08 is a very good roound as well. Like many have said you can't go wrong with the 280 Rem. But why not just get a .270 win, no difference between the two except you can always find .270 ammo.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ELKINMTCWB

1ST you should learn deer befor you try to learn to shoot 500 yards.If you know about the animal you hunt you will most likely never need to shot that far.

i'm going to disagree with that. there is a lot of luck in hunting. either you see a deer or you don't. its more important to practice shooting before you go hunting deer. know the effective range of your rifle and whats beyond that. learn to judge distances. i could understand knowing the species of deer so you dont shoot a muley during whitetail season or visa versa. you need to knowthe distances that your capable of shooting accuratly. this guy doesnt need to know the genetics and temperment of deer during the rut he needs to know whether or not he can shoot that far if the deer walks out and confident with his rifle and his accuracy. the only way to do that is practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Primetimearcher,Asking that question is going to give you alot of opinions. I have taken deer 400-500yds{rounded off} with
scoped 7mmRM. Other pepole have done it with .300WM and further. I prefer the mags myself.Alot of rounds have the
distance but not the energy.

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Capt you bring up a good point about using $20 a box ammo. Call it a sign of the times, simple inflation, higher prices as a result of wonderful technology or whatever but I simply dont see any ammo I care to actually hunt with that actually costs less than $20 a box. Now before I get strung up, I know MILLIONS of guys shoot Remington CoreLokts and Winchester Power Points from their trust ol 06s, 270s and 30/30s. They have done so for years and will continue so, and likewise such ammo will be comparetively "cheap". But many of those guys are occasional hunters and/or close range guys who either dont want to or dont have to shoot at much over 200yds.

But whens the last time you saw serious long range hunters/shooters/target shooters or varminters shooting such basic fodder, many handload but you would be surprised how many are buying their ammo from "premium" makers and some even use custom ammo from commercial loaders? If you walk into most gun shops and ask for Federal Premium, Winchester Supreme, Hornady (or even the premiere offerings from Remington) you are going to pay more than $20 a box for it, regardless of caliber. Its easy to pay $30 for a box of 270 rounds and over $40 for a box of magnum fodder. So the basic premise of shooting a 270/30-06 just for costs reasons isn't necessarily so anymore.

I wouldn't let ammo costs keep me from buying a magnum, ESPECIALLY a WSM. Winchester/Browning have seen too it to offer the WSMs in the "cheap" stuff like PowerPoints (the old silver boxed Winchester variety) for those who desire such (why I dont know, but thats not the topic). Federal and Winchester both are loading for the WSMs and I would be willing to bet that either Hornady or Remington will soon add them too their own lineups (Remington already picked up the 270WSM and 300WSM for their 700s in 05).

As with many things in life, a square answer cant always be found by simply looking at "the bottom line",
RA
Old 02-26-2005, 06:33 PM

Nothing said about the 243? Practice with varmits at distances to get a real feel.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 PM

why hasn't anyone said anything about the .308 winchester? Isn't this an extremely effective long range cartridge that can take down any animal in north america?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:45 AM

I'll be the first about a .308. I,ve hit 1000yrd targets with it. It is an EXTREME long range round. 180 grain loads can hit a 1000yrs target EASILY. Just have to know where to hold. In fact im GETTING a 308,I have hunted with them,target shot with them,I LOVE 308s. I wouldnt want ANYTHING else!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:58 PM

The question was about deer hunting at long ranges, not shooting targets at long ranges. There is a distinct difference. Sure the 308 is a fine gun for that, typically extremely accurate, cheap to build and shoot and the manageability of the rifle (low recoil and quick recovery) makes for a great package for punching holes in targets at longer ranges. BUT powerwise the gun is lacking for cleanly taking deer in the 600yd + range.

I could be wrong, but then again how many 1k yd deer shooting clubs in PA have shooters using 308s from the mountaintops?
RA