Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

single shot rifles

Old 12-21-2004, 07:13 PM

Default single shot rifles

Are single shot rifles any good for hunting? New England Firearms has a single shot break action 30-06 for 220 dollars. I plan on using it for watching over fields. I don't have alot of money so i thought that it would be ok for a couple years.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: single shot rifles

It all depends on you. Are you capable of making one shot count? If the answer is yes, then by all means it will work. Spend as much time shooting it as you can. You will learn how it handles. It will become second nature to you. So when you have to make the shot, it will come naturally to you. You won't have to think about it.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i got a nef in 243 that i always leave out of the safe, i use it for coyotes and other vagrants that come on our property, i don't have a lot of money tied up in it and its a decent shooter and a lot of fun to shoot, i think you would like it fine. good deal for the cost
Old 12-21-2004, 08:22 PM

My son shoots an NEF single-shot .243 to great effect. It's not a tack-driver but then that's not its purpose. I handload for it and he practices with reduced load then full power hunting. Avgs. 1 1/4-1 1/2 at 100. I've never shot it farther than that but it handles and shoots good. Oh yea, I have many nice rifles in my collection and have used many a patch to keep the barrels clean. The NEF fouls less than any rifle barrel I have ever cleaned! Great for the money.

Check out that H&R Ultra in 25/06...single-shot laminate stock, a frind of mine flat murders 'yotes and deer with his. It's pretty cheap too.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Ruger #1 in 7x57 Mauser and 95% of the time the first shot is the only one that counts. You either get a good shot and your next 3 shots miss or you get a bad shot and the next 3 miss. If you do hit them with the next shots usually the first one was a killing one anyways.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guns @ ammo did a varmit hunting compareison a couple years back , and that handy rifel in 223 beat out a sako , at about 1/5 the cost .
Old 12-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that beginners should learn on single shots, as they are a safe action type, and stress the importance of making that first shot count. You can reload one pretty quick if you need to, so you are not totally limited to one shot, it will take a couple seconds to reload though.

Generally speaking, single shot rifles ballance well, are lighter to carry (no bolt or action to speak of), and can have longer barrels (2" or so) for their weight. Longer barrels mean better velocity for a given load.

The NEFs I have heard about are very good shooters. I have never picked one up. I did pick up a Mossberg single shot and liked the feel of it.
For the money I don't see how you could go wrong with a NEF.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:51 PM

There are some inexpensive savage bolt action out there you might want to consider
here's some on gunbroker with scope

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=26910346
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=27045646
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=27052407
Old 12-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have five or six NEF rifles. They all shoot well. I have one in 280 that is a real favorite. I don't feel the least bit handi-capped using a single shot rifle.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't feel the least bit handi-capped using a single shot rifle
why should anybody, one shot is what its all about anyway

Quick Reply: single shot rifles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.