Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Gun firing when taken off safety

Old 12-24-2004, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Gun firing when taken off safety

Other guns ( browning , cz , etc. ) dont unload on safety....i dont think they have the probs remington has.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 PM

I have a lightly-used Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 and have not had any trouble. That said, I know I can't unload it without putting it off-safe. I read on the Internet (must be true!) that certain older Model 700's (pre-1980 I think) would discharge upon being switched from Safe to Fire. Some people ended up killed or injured by such guns and Remington lost a lot of money in court as a result. Here is a link to a story:
Faulty Remington rifles shatter lives

Be careful. Like I tell my son, the only safety that works is the one between his ears.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM

I have a Remington Model 7 in .17 Remington cal. I can load and unload it on "safe". I have had this rifle for ten years and have fired many hundreds of rounds through it without mishap. It is a very good gun. I think that Remington makes one of the better guns out there. If you contact Remington, I am sure that they will make it right with you one way or the other.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:43 AM
bigcountry

I have had this rifle for ten years and have fired many hundreds of rounds through it without mishap. It is a very good gun. I think that Remington makes one of the better guns out there. If you contact Remington, I am sure that they will make it right with you one way or the other.
Viking, if you had it for 10 years, then yours are not in the group that requires fixing. Also, just because some have not seen the problem doesn't mean it couldn't be a problem or it would never happen to you. Have you ever contacted Remington? What a nightmare that was dealing with them. I have had problably a dozen 700's, and I doubt I will own another. The remaining two, one has been rebuilt into a custom. Basically only using the reciever.

I think Remington still has a crappy safety. They only block the trigger not the fireing pin. But so do alot of other companies.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:56 PM

-
Old 01-28-2005, 07:17 AM

The newer Remington triggers are a bit rough to be polite. I have one and have had to mess with it a bit. Still not sure that I won't end up changing it out for an after market one. The Sear screw is not adjusted correctly, the adjustment process talks about this very item and has steps in the adjustment procedure to be sure you don't fire when turning off the safety. Did someone try to adjust the trigger and not know what they were doing? That is likely the case. Good luck. Takes about 20 minutes to get it dialed in and that is if you go real slow.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM

thre words SEE A GUNSMITH. end of story
Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give this a read.

http://quarterbore.com/library/artic...00trigger.html
Old 01-30-2005, 07:35 AM

-
Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 AM

I had a Parker-Hale that had the same problem you are talking about. What I had found the rear trigger screw was protruding out. I had put a shim in the stock so the bolt would not go up in the reciever. In your case I would send it back to Remington. They would probably fix your problem. I have sent some guns and parts back to Remington and they had fixed the problem with no problem.

Quick Reply: Gun firing when taken off safety

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.