Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

which 30-30

Old 01-28-2005, 07:25 AM

Default RE: which 30-30

I just plain love the ole 30-30 cartridge no matter what rifle you own. Being a southpaw led me to the lever or pump actions early on in my life. I have 30-30's in several older style Winchesters (standard & trapper model but neither the newer angle eject), two Marlins, a Savage pump they only made for 10 years, and even two barrels of different lengths for my T/C contender. I always seem to hunt where my shots are 100 yards or less so that ole 30-30 cartridge does me just fine. They don't make my old Savage pump anymore so basically your choices are between the Winchester & Marlin. Either rifle can be scoped whether it is the older top eject or newer side eject Winchester as they have made some type of scope mount for either of them. However, it is easier to scope a Marlin and their bases are available just about everywhere. As someone said earlier, the Winchester is lighter so if weight is a concern, consider the Winchester. I prefer a slightly heavier rifle so I have used my Marlins more before I came across that old Savage pump at a local gun show years ago. But I guess you can't go wrong with either the Marlin or Winchester so it'll just come down to your particular taste.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:03 PM

I like the Marlins better myself mine is a .35 rem. i did sell my win. 94 .30/30 but it was forlack of use . It was a very fine rifle , as for the marlin being stronger i was told by the local gunsmith that the winchester actions were stronger. then the marlins, and as for top ejection i dont know if they still produce them mine was an angle aject , they have been angle aject for many years now. As for strong actions look at the puma 92 i beleive its the only lever action rifle chambered in 454 which generates 50,000 psi.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Hello LASTBOYSCOUT,
Have you shot it? Take it to the range and see what you can do with it,give it a chance and see how it feels.About 11lb recoil
thats nothing...
Where are you going to hunt? Montana,Colorado,Wyoming-----bad choice. Depends what your plans are.
Good choice in close cover.......give a chance. Maybe the barrel is washed-out. Only you will know.
Try it you might like it.

KEEP ON ROTTING!!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

marlin 336 is all you would need in lever action. Mainly cuz of the side ejection port. you can use a scope effectivily if you want.