Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

which 30-30

Old 01-06-2005, 08:04 AM

Default RE: I just purchesed one of these..help!!

I have a WIN 94 that was purchased in 1985 that was angle eject and have had a scope on it since then. It is a sweet shooting gun and has taken 69 deer so far. I've never shot a Marlin, but I hear they are just as good. As for being dropped, bounced around on the back of a 4wheeler, dropped in the creek (tree I was walking on broke....LOL[] ), and all kinds of othe little mishaps, I don't think any other gun would take such a beating!! Just my opinion tho...
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The help Im needing is a site that can help me find more info on how to find the guns age.
You can try the marlin firearms website. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/FAQs/index.php
Old 01-07-2005, 05:35 PM

A Marlin 336 .30-30 is a great lever gun, and if I were going to scope a .30-30, that would be the one I would use. Its action has withstood the test of time.

Having said that, and having read all the negatives about the Winchester Model 94 .30 WCF, I feel I must speak up in defense of what (IMHO) is THE definitive lever-action rifle made today. I finally purchased a Model 94 a few years ago, after a lifetime of bolt-actions. I wanted a little carbine that was handy to tote in the woods, but also, something that was a pleasure to hold and to hunt with. I did not want a scope, simply because putting a scope on a lever-action takes away from the qualities that make lever-actions perfect woods rifles. Instead, I installed a Williams receiver sight (a peep sight if you are unfamiliar with the Williams), and I was rewarded with 2-1/2" groups @ 100 yards with factory 150 grain cartridges. I have worked up handloads with 150 grain Speer bullets, but haven't had the time to test them. Regardless, 2-1/2" groups with factory fodder is A-Ok in my book.

I really like that slab-sided receiver, which is exactly where the center of balance is located, so carrying the little carbine is both easy and enjoyable. No sling studs, please. This rifle looks too good in the hand to be wearing a sling-it's meant to be carried at the ready.

Now none of this is meant to take anything away from the Marlin. As I said, the 336 is a darn fine rifle. But if I was going to hunt with a .30-30, I would opt for the Winchester, hands-down.

Brian
Old 01-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Winchester has a bigger name as far as lever actions,but I like the marlin actions more than the winchester.The only thing that I can think of that may bother some people is the micro groove rifling in the marlin barrels.But thats it,and really it doesnt bother me.Your girlfriend made a great choice.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: which 30-30

Me, I like Marlins better than Winchesters 94. You hold that Marlin & your holding a design that first saw light n 1889. All Marlins lever guns are made on this design & even with its round bolt the 336 is closer to an 1889 than a Modern Win 94 is to the orginal designed by John Browning.
I'm no gunsmith so I won't argue. But I've looked at end of the 19th century Marlins and end of the 19th century Winchester '94's and it doesn't look to me like the '94's have changed much (this is compared to my 1947 made '94 though).

I own both. If I seriously go deer hunting with one of them, I take the 336. If I throw in an extra gun in case I see a coyote while pheasant hunting, I take the '94. I shoot the 336 far more accurately then the '94. Not sure why. The 336 just seems a lot steadier.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 PM

it is a great gun. my favorite is the winchester model 94 ranger
Old 01-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RemMod1100

Me, I like Marlins better than Winchesters 94. You hold that Marlin & your holding a design that first saw light n 1889. All Marlins lever guns are made on this design & even with its round bolt the 336 is closer to an 1889 than a Modern Win 94 is to the orginal designed by John Browning.
I'm no gunsmith so I won't argue. But I've looked at end of the 19th century Marlins and end of the 19th century Winchester '94's and it doesn't look to me like the '94's have changed much (this is compared to my 1947 made '94 though).

I own both. If I seriously go deer hunting with one of them, I take the 336. If I throw in an extra gun in case I see a coyote while pheasant hunting, I take the '94. I shoot the 336 far more accurately then the '94. Not sure why. The 336 just seems a lot steadier.

The Winchesters might look the same but theyre not. Yours made in 47 is but in the last 15 years or so they ruined it IMO. They machined away the reciever to achieve angle eject, they altered the action to a rebounding hammer wth no half cock & a couple other things. Cant say theyre bad guns as they sure sell alot of them but they lost apeal to me.
Guess I'm a traditionalist so to speak. Theyre way more complex than a Marlin as well. Its a snap to take the bolt out of a marlin for cleaning from the breech & total disassembly is also very simple, not so with John Browning designed lever guns.

Somebody asked about finding the age of their gun. If its a Marlin you should check out Marlinowners.com or the Marlin collectors site. If its a Winchester I suggest you pose your question on Leverguns.com.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the exact gun. It's the best I've ever had. Patterns in a nickel at 50 yards. I shot a buck that died instantly. Without a scope I was in a 2inch circle. If you mount a scope get the see through mounts. Awesome gun for an incredible price.
Chuck
Old 01-13-2005, 04:09 PM

I have a 336 in .35 and i love it... the only problem i have is finding factory ammo in .35... tuff to find a good variety. I'm seriously thinking about getting annother in 30/30.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a deer this weekend with my 1962 open-sight Model 94 at 87 yds. Two steps was all that it was able to muster. This rifle has downed around 30 deer since I bought it in 1974. I try to take it out at least once a year to keep the 'luck' charged up. Marlins are nice but I have not seen any reason to switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.