Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help with scope choice...

Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help with scope choice...

I just bought a Rem 700 adl synthetic in 7mm-08. I am trying to put the best scope I can afford on it for under 250. So far the choices are Leupold VX-1 and Rifleman, Burris and Nikon. I would prefer to have American made so I am leaning towards the Leupold. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. This doesnt have to be a real strong scope...just clear bright and solid...most of my scopes now are 2x7x32. I get very few shots over 75 yards...but take the occasional 300 yarder in the late season field shoots..

Gotta throw the Bushnell 3200 in there also.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Help with scope choice...

Get a Leupold VX-II, 2-7x scope. Might be a little more than $250, but it's worth it.
Another consideration would be the VXII, 1-4x. Just crank it up to 4x for those long shots.
Another option might be the Weaver Grand-Slam series of scopes. I've had a couple of
Weaver scopes, and they've been pretty good.
Following is a link to SWFA. I've purchased a few scopes from this outfit, and the prices
seem very reasonable, and I've had good/prompt service too.

Link: http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp
Old 12-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I agree w/ Virginia7, If I got a Leupold it would be a VX-II or III. I'm not a fan of the Rifleman scopes at all and you can do better w/ your money than a VX-I. Check out e-bay for a used VX-II or III. BassPro even has a 6pay plan on purchases over $125 take advantage of that. I think the best bang for your buck is the Bushnelle Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster or Burris Fullfield II. Buy the best Glass you can afford. It sucks to be hunting and look down at your scope and think "I bought a cheap piece of @*#&%" If $$ is tight check out basspro's 6pay plan.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold VX II would be my pick...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Once again I am a fan of the Simmons Aetec. I also have a VX l that has worked great for me. I also like the Simmons Pro- Hunter straight 6X scopes. I have had one for three years on my Pump 30-06 Remington.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Burris Fullfield II can be bought for less than $200 at Bear Basin and they are actually 100% made in the U.S.A. where as the Leupold is actually only assembled in the U.S.A.

You will also find that the Burris has a one piece tube and 100% fully multi coated optics where as the others do not.

Go to this link and look at the comparison of the fullfield II and other scopes before you buy a Leupold. The fullfield is comparable to the VX-III line of Leupolds but for about $250.00 less.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html
Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 PM

I own it, great scope indeed. Compared side by side to the previous generation Leupold VariX III it's actually a bit crisper picture. Both 3-9x40mm. Also, I jumped on the deal where I got a free spotting scope with it. One of my main requirements was that it be Made in U.S.A. and the Burris is. Excellent info provided, bigbulls.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The made in USA part was the main holdback on the Burris. I seen the deal with the spotting scope as well..and thats the way I was leaning..but still not positive.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Burris Fullfield II is by far the better scope of the group. Your money would be very well spend with the Burris.

I believe that Burris is the only scope made that is 100% entirely made in the USA in Greeley Colorado. Less than 1 hour from Denver.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:14 AM

I purchased a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 at Wal-Mart for $150 and am very impressed. I'm always being asked by my customers about 'a good cheap scope'. I decided to try one on my .243 win. I've used it all season and have moved the adjustments all over and it tracks perfectly. Also very clear with no distortion around the edges. Good eye relief. I would buy another one. Just my experience.

Quick Reply: Help with scope choice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.