Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS ??

Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS ??

Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with the 700 Mountain LSS. I was wanting to get some input before buying it.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS ??

That's what I wanted when I bought my Mountain Rifle, but there was not one to be found in .260 Remington. I settled for the standard walnut & blue. I love this rifle.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: jdreddish
Does anyone here anve 1st hand experience with the 700 Mountain LSS. I was wanting to get some input before buying it. Thanks
I've got one in 270Win. - Rem.700 LSS Mountain Rifle: laminated stock with stainless steel barrel/action. If I had to narrow my choice down to having only one rifle, this one would be it. The 270 can do it all, from varmints to elk, and the recoil is moderate.
Accuracy in my rifle is generally very good, with some loads being exceptionally good (sub 1"moa). This is all with factory ammo, too.
What I like most is that I have found about 4-5 factory loads now that all shoot to same
point of impact. And, in three years now I have not had to adjust the scope settings - this rifle holds/maintains its' zero year after year (probably due in large part to the laminated stock). Given my experience, I HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Since I don't reload, what are some of the factory loads you have had the best results with ?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:10 PM

Since I don't reload, what are some of the factory loads you have had the best results with ?
As noted, my 700 LSS is chambered for the 270Win. I shoot factory ammo in it
only (quit handloading several years ago). The loads she seems to like best are:

Federal Premium, 150gr. Nosler partitions
Hornady 130gr. (flat base - not the boat tails)
Remington 150gr. Core-Lokt soft points
Federal Classic 150gr. soft points
Remington 100gr. PSP (for varmint use)
Winchester 130gr. Power Points

The first two shoot about 1" groups at 100yds. The rest do no worse than 1-1/2".
I use a Leupold 2-7x scope (VX-II). Leupold bases/rings.

I got to try some of the newer Remington Core-Lokt Ultras yet.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your help Virginia7 I'll try those loads 1st.

Well, I ordered the pretty lil thing! It should be in some time next week. The last step and hardest part will be picking out a new scope.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:58 AM
GM

How do you like your 700 Mountain LSS. I just put one in 30-06 on lay away. How does it shooot? What type of ammo works best?

Not sure what type of scope to put on it........any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 PM

I bought one in .270. I liked the feel of the gun and the action was very nice. I had the trigger adjusted and shot 2 boxes of factory loads through it. Before I bought it I considered the titainium, but it felt a little too light. Also, Iv'e had the itch to have a semi custom rifle built for a while. Well, I did it. I sent my new barreled action to Hill Country Rifle in Texas. They are going to put a McMillan synthetic stock on it and accurize it. When done, it will be 5lbs 15oz. With rings and scope it will be just under 7 lbs. Bad thing is that it takes 3 months. When I get it I will post my results. So much for scrathing an itch!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older M700 BDL moutain rifle chambered for 308 win, To me the mountain rifle platform is the perfect woods gun for any big game hunting application a deffinate pleasure to carry when my buddies are complaining about the weight of there rifles after a few miles of walking my mountain rifle doesnt even bother me. I wouldn't trade mine for nothing I love the gun, alot talk alot of junk on the light contour rifle barrels saying "oh their not as accurate" or "they get hot too fast" etc. I say thats all a bunch of BS because my mountain rifle with factory 150 grain remington express core lokts the rifle holds less then an inch groups at 100 yards and with my handloads it produces .75" or better all day long at 100 yards. thats plenty accurate for hunting as for the barrels getting hot faster that doesnt matter because they also cool down faster. I remember a buddy of mine awhile back was talking junk on my rifle saying that because the barrel is a light contour its accuracy is only reliable to take game to 200 yards a few weeks later we were hunting deer and in front of him I took a whitetail doe at 275+ yards the shot landed just above and behind the shoulder.

I dont think you will have any complaints with a mountain rifle, After a few years of hunting with one I think you will really appreciate it like we all do who also use mountain rifles. good luck
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Mtn Rifle in 1998... blue n walnut... the stock is in my personal opinion one of the most graceful and best fitting stocks of what you find out there today... it fits me like a glove and is a pleasure to hang onto... (If anyone has any discarded in right hand LA Walnut i am interested too... ) I ended up having her rebarrelled and when i did i went to a #2 contour which is a bit heavier than the factory LC barrel that came on the gun... it really helps to tame muzzle jump and it actually balances the gun a bit better due to the bit of extra weight... i stayed with a 22 inch tube though when i turned it into a 280... it's my main firearm, everything from coyote on up, that i might be hunting... as far as distance capability... i did whack a woodchuck @ 435 yds... that is the number out of the rangefinder... donno if it was luck, skill or the planets aligned...

Jamie

Quick Reply: Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.